This Disappears When Logged In

Cheap, Simple CO2 Chamber

Discussion in 'Feeders' started by Knox, Feb 12, 2011.

1. Knox

Knox Elite Member

This works wonderfully.

1. Small container, holes melted with solder gun in lid and right below rim of container:

co21.jpg

2. Larger container, holes around the top of the container for expanding gas to push out O2 (lid not pictured):

co22.jpg

3. Place mice in larger container with lid on. Place Dry Ice in smaller container and put lid on. Run warm water into dry ice container - it will fall through the holes in the lid and begin to spew forth lots of CO2. Quickly place dry ice container into larger container and close lid.

co23.jpg

It doesn't take much dry ice. About the size of a piece of bread will give more than enough. My Kroger sells it for $1.68 a pound. So a piece the size I need is less than a dollar.

To me, this is much easier than working with CO2 cannisters and regulators and hoses. The only drawback is a trip to Kroger right before each euthanization. However, Kroger is only 10 minutes away, so it isn't a problem for me.

And I was worried about the dry ice "melting" too quickly. A piece the size of your palm will last quite a while in the open air. An hour or two.

Attached Files:

2. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

Great chamber, so how long does it take to do its job?
    Great way to save money and much better way to kill your feeders.

3. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I was also wondering about the time frames. I made this a sticky at the top of the feeders section.

4. Knox

Knox Elite Member

The mice are dead within about 30 seconds.

I do want to add that there is debate about using Dry Ice for CO2 vs Compressed CO2 from a cannister. The debate is concerning the release time of the gas.

Some argue for a slow, controlled release of CO2 by use of a regulator. In this manner, the mice pass out before actual death. If water is not added to the dry ice, the gas would flow out at a much slower rate and accomplish the same end over a longer time.

I am not sure where I stand on the debate, and here is the reason why. When a mouse is constricted by a snake, it is certainly stressed. There is no "nice" falling asleep before death. Not only is it being suffocated, but it is suffering cardiac damage from extremely high blood pressure.

In the end, the mice are dead in under a minute.

I wonder what the large scale breeders like Rodent Pro use - Flooding of CO2 or slow, controlled release?

Just want to throw out both sides of the argument and allow you to make your own choice. I am comfortable with this method...

5. Rich

I think rodent pro doesn't do either. Unless I am mistaken, they flash freeze their rodents. (I could be wrong.)

6. Knox

Knox Elite Member

Interesting. Thanks, Rich.

7. Rich

I was wrong, they use Co2. This is from thier FAQ's section:

They flash freeze the rodents individually after they have been euthanized from what I have gathered.

8. Knox

Knox Elite Member

When they say "ensures a quick, painless death", I am understanding that they use large amounts of CO2 instead of a slow release.

Much like the method I described ;-)

9. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

In a commercial situation I woud expect that they go with quick!

10. Hybrid

Hybrid Well-Known Member

Would just breaking there neck be a quicker, more humane method?

11. Knox

Knox Elite Member

Yes, but when you have lots of feeders to euthanize, that isn't very efficient.

12. Swimmer522

Swimmer522 Elite Member

What about freezing them? I read that the mosue falls asleep then just dies?

13. Knox

Knox Elite Member

That is generally accepted only with pinks. Once the mouse has fur, it stays alive longer and suffers.

14. Swimmer522

Swimmer522 Elite Member

Oh okay thank you.

15. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

That is info that is way outdated. It was once beleived that they just fell asleep.
    It has been learned that it is actually a slow painful way for them to die. First their extremities freeze, and then the freezing works its way into the body.

16. CornyBoa

CornyBoa Active Member

Can you euthanize, say 10 mice, use a couple for feeding and freeze the rest for later? Or is there a technique for freezing freshly euthanized mice?

17. Wyldrose

Wyldrose Elite Member

You can gas a bunch, then feed off some right away and freeze the rest. If I only have to feed one or two I don't gas them, I flick them on the backs of their heads, they die instantly. If I had to do that with the 28 rodents I need to feed that would take too much time so I like the gas chamber idea.

If you add bedding, shredded paper etc. Makes it much easier to clean afterwards.

18. mayhmmaydn

mayhmmaydn Elite Member

so much nice then back in the day when it was a pillow case and a hard surface.... sorry.... but that did work way back too..