This Disappears When Logged In

Cheap Hide For Big Snakes.

Discussion in 'Cage Furniture - Accessories' started by Dragoness, Mar 1, 2016.

1. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Anyone who owns anything larger than a ball python knows the frustration of finding suitably sized hide boxes for them - most pet stores don't stock them, and many reptile companies don't even manufacture them.

I have been using cardboard boxes for my big girl for some time, and didn't care for it - and neither did she. She usually just squashed them flat, and defecated on them.

'She' is a 48 lb 11 foot boa.

Bought her a concrete mixing tub the other day. They had two sizes, and this was actually the smaller size (9 or 10 gallon) and cost only $6 (or less). Cut a hole in the side, and Viola.

The upside is that because it is black, it absorbs heat readily, making a very nice warm hide for her to use. It did off gas for about a week. If it had continued, I would have pulled it, but it seems to be done. Her cage smells like snake now, rather than plastic.

Obviously, she approves.
    Hide box for the queen. | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

This is the product (or something very similar) that I used.
    Plasgad Medium Mixing Tub-887101A - The Home Depot

2. Goon Squad

Goon Squad Member

That's a great idea. What type of boa do you have? Any other pics?

3. Darkbird

Darkbird Moderator Staff Member

Considering the size of that behemoth of a girl you got, I'm surprised she bothers with a hide. I'd always though of using dark colored cat boxes the same way, but this would fit the bill for snakes that are past that stage. Is she calming down at all now that she has the hide? I know she had somewhat of an attitude and was a handful.

4. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

She is a common boa - but a big one (around 11 feet, about 48 pounds)

She has, over the past few years, been calming down considerably. No bites (or attempts, outside of feeding responses) in a few years!

Other pics:

For comparison, the cage she is in is six feet long.

Akasha | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Bath day (she doesn't stay put - you're only seeing about 1/3rd of her.)

Akasha | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Darkbird likes this.