This Disappears When Logged In

char problem

Discussion in 'Water Dragons' started by WDBILL, Apr 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WDBILL

WDBILL Well-Known Member

Char my going to be 6 year old female, has gone to the bathroom in a long time. I suspect shes gravid with unfertile eggs, (Again) She eats, and is very responsive, and agile. She is very worrying me. It cant be that i got another WD 2 months ago, they get along great i even have a picture of them getting along. (see the photo gallery) So is there anything i should do for her.?

BTW> Chars anniversary is on Easter (YAY)

2. Dragonden

Dragonden Elite Member

How long has it been since Char last went to the bathroom?

Are you sure she's not going? Check all over the cage for stool. Also ... most dragons go in the water and sometimes they will eat their stool as it floats past them (yuck!). Have you been seeing urates? (the white stuff?)

If she's eating but not defecating that's a big problem- she's constipated or has a bowel blockage. Are you sure the cage temps are correct? 84 to 88 F during the day with a basking area of up to 95 F? Night temps between 75 and 80 F? Get another thermometer in the cage and check the temps (sometimes thermometers fail).

Is she active, alert, green?

Since it's a holiday weekend you might not be able to get her to a vet until Tuesday so try some of these suggestions (however if she's acting very ill get her to an emergency vet ASAP):

Place her in chest deep, lukewarm water three times a day to encourage defecation. Gently massage her belly while she's in the water by rubbing your hand on her abdomen (the underside) in slow circular downward (toward the vent) motions.

Make sure she's drinking some water when you are soaking her, and when she's using her own water area. If she's not drinking on her own (that is a sign to get her to the vet!) you can use an eye dropper or a baby syringe filled with water or half water half apple juice to drip water on her snout ... keep dripping as she starts to lick the moisture off her snout.

you can also place her on a human heating pad set on low or a hot water bottle (warm, not hot hot hot) and rub her sides and her belly while she's on the warm area ... this might get her going too.

If she's eating you might also give her an earthworm or too ... they tend to make the stool looser and that might help get things moving for her.

Tricia

3. WDBILL

WDBILL Well-Known Member

yes i do see see the white stuff, temps okay. she is active alert and green. ty for helping $$$$$

4. WDBILL

WDBILL Well-Known Member

Good news char went! in her water in the new cage, it seems there was a little bit of substrate (Repti-bark) small amounts. She went and is still eating. ;)

5. Dragonden

Dragonden Elite Member

Glad to hear she went but not that she had substrate in her stool ... make sure she's drinking water well, she might have more reptibark in her.

If you want to use bark orchid bark is better because the pieces are larger ... you need to have bark pieces that are larger than your dragons head (really. :)) just to be sure that none is accidently ingested when she eats. Also try putting her food in a clear shallow dish (?glass ashtray) where it can be seen but can't get out easily .... this might help lessen the chance of bowel impaction too.

6. Jay DeMore

Jay DeMore Elite Member

We feed all of our lizards and toads in glass ashtrays. It keeps the mealworms in place and is real easy to clean up. You can get them for $1.99 at most retailers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.