This Disappears When Logged In

Chameleon Troubles

Discussion in 'Chameleons' started by CJjersey, Aug 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CJjersey

CJjersey Active Member

:( She's on the right meds now, but i don't think she's gonna make it.

I'm so mad at the first vet hospital...

2. Dominick

Dominick Founding Member

I'm so sorry to hear about your trouble with the Vet. Just aggravates the crap out of me that they can be so incompetent.

The abscess looks very much like one we treated for an iguana in the past. After very aggressive care the iguana did not make it, mostly due to the abscess bursting inside the head and infecting her brain.

But, the good news for you is the abscess is draining on the outside! I was so glad to read that part! This gives her a much better chance of survival!

Be diligent in her recovery, no matter how much she hates it. Believe that she can fight it.

Best of luck to you and your Cham. I'm hoping for the best outcome.

3. CJjersey

CJjersey Active Member

She didn't make it....

4. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I'm sorry to hear that!
    At least you tried.

5. Dominick

Dominick Founding Member

Oh man. I'm so sorry to hear that.

She had the best care you could give her at the end. She was loved.

6. BlackJack

BlackJack Subscribed User Premium Member

I'm sorry to hear she didn't survive. :( You certainly did the best you could for her!

7. CJjersey

CJjersey Active Member

So the vet really feels there were two issues with that outcome. 1. The first vet hospital failed to act properly in time, in order to try and save me money when I clearly stated to them money was not an issue, I only wanted to do what was most likely to help her 2. She feels the chameleon was sold with an infection to begin with from the pet store.

8. Dominick

Dominick Founding Member

Greetings CJjersey-

Really, I'm quite surprised by the first Vet holding back. That was a huge mistake on their part. The health of the animal comes first, the money issue comes later.

I guess having the infection when you got the Cham is very unfortunate and a good reason to have newly acquire pets Vet-checked when you get them. You just can't be sure of the health of the creature, no matter how good a pet store is.

I'm really sorry for your loss. I so wish it would have turned out differently.

9. CJjersey

CJjersey Active Member

If we decide to get another cham, how do you go about finding a decent breeder?

10. Dominick

Dominick Founding Member

You can search Reptiles Magazine or Website. Reptile shows are another place where you can actually meet the breeders and see the creatures.

Of course none of this is perfect. Breeders come in all shades of slimy green. Word of mouth and recommendations are the best way to determine which breeders are worth it.

11. CJjersey

CJjersey Active Member

Soooo anyone know a good breeder in the seattle area? Or know of any listings of reptile shows?

12. CJjersey

CJjersey Active Member

13. fire2225ems

fire2225ems Subscribed User Premium Member

Sorry to hear about your loss CJ. I think I would at least call the original vet and tell them that they messed up... Maybe at the very least it would save another animal down the line.

14. CJjersey

CJjersey Active Member

My current vet has contacted them already, if anyone lives in the Seattle area. The Eastside Exotic Pet & Bird Clinic in Kirkland is just fantastic. Highly recommended.

15. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

One of the lists that we recommend is Herp Vet Connection. It is a list comprosed of vets who have been added by their clients, not the vet themselves.
    Be sure to add yours!
    It might help someone else out who is not on this site!

16. fire2225ems

fire2225ems Subscribed User Premium Member

Also I think on that list you are able to leave comments, so if you see the other vet, I would be sure to leave a comment to let other people know about it....

17. CJjersey

CJjersey Active Member

Done and done. High marks for Dr. Kamaka at Eastside, and poor marks for Renton Vet Hospital.

18. Dominick

Dominick Founding Member

Thank you for doing that. You may very well save the life of another creature because of your input.

Good luck on your search for a new Chameleon. They are really cool lizards.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.