This Disappears When Logged In

Chameleon Troubles

Discussion in 'Chameleons' started by CJjersey, Aug 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CJjersey

CJjersey Active Member

Our little girl has a lump on outside of her eye, near the socket joint. Any ideas to what it could be? I'm trying to get pictures up but it's being difficult.

I have no idea how to post pictures, so if someone could help me out that'd be great:)

2. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

3. CJjersey

CJjersey Active Member

some pictures

Attached Files:

4. scooterlizard

scooterlizard Elite Member

That may be an abcess under the skin in that area, need to get it to a vet asap.

5. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I agree. We could throw all sorts of "possibilities" at you but it will require a good herp vet to say for sure.

6. CJjersey

CJjersey Active Member

Ok thanks guys I'll have to figure out where one is in Seattle and get her over there right away

7. Merlin

8. CJjersey

CJjersey Active Member

Ok soooo she has an abcess. This morning we took her to the vet because it had progressed to her Eye being swollen shut. So the vet has her on eye drop anti-biotics and oral anti-biotics... I still have no idea how I'm going to get my moody girl to take the oral ones.

9. scooterlizard

scooterlizard Elite Member

Are the antibiotics liquid or pill?

10. CJjersey

CJjersey Active Member

There liquid, also.. My GF picked up the chameleon at the vet. The vet said to bring her back if she shows any signs of looking worse. However failed to elborate on what "looking worse" might entail. Any thoughts?

11. caudalis_sa

caudalis_sa Elite Member

Well liquid...you should have a dosage on the prescription. You hold its mouth open...then drip it in...the cham should swallow...or you could tube it gently.

Looking worse for a chameleon, well obviously if the swelling increases, chameleon looks discolored ( they really show their health by their color), chameleon looking dehydrated (eyes sinking in etc). Just general sign of bad health or really strange behavior.

12. CJjersey

CJjersey Active Member

So I think her eye is getting worse again... I don't know what to do, cause the vet said that if she had to be sedated and have it drained it was going to be extremely expensive and she might not make it through it... I'm torn on what to do guys...

The swelling around her eye has a yellowish tinge to it now and it's all goopy. It also seems like it's draining out her eye opening area... to the point that it's kinda crusty and she can't close it....

13. fire2225ems

fire2225ems Subscribed User Premium Member

Sounds like you need to call the vet back.

14. CJjersey

CJjersey Active Member

Sooooo I got some very warm water in my small spray bottle and misted her eye directly, just went back over there and all the gook is gone and she can open and close it now... I wonder if this is just how it is supposed to drain..

15. CJjersey

CJjersey Active Member

Ugh, she seems to have gotten worse, when I came home she was literally hanging from her branch by her two front legs... when I tried to coax her up on it she just hissed at me and wouldn't move... I finally got her to move up and she is laying on the branch and dragging herself around by her front legs... I know she can move and use her back legs cuz she'll grip and push and pull my fingers but she refuses to use them otherwise...

16. BlackJack

BlackJack Subscribed User Premium Member

I'm sorry to hear that your girl is not well. It sounds like the infection might be spreading or getting worse.
    Talk to your vet. See what the chances are that she'll get better if he sedates her and drains the eye. Perhaps he can set up a payment plan for you.
    If the chances aren't good, you'll have to decide if it's better for her to be put down.
    Good luck and keep us posted.

17. CJjersey

CJjersey Active Member

We're heading to the 24hr clinic now.

18. CJjersey

CJjersey Active Member

So, I have injections of water with glucose and b-vitamins to give her, and I have to feed her baby food with a syringe. Apparently the first vet I took her to was an idiot. If any of you live in the Seattle area, stay away from Renton Vet Hospital. They put her on the WRONG antibiotic because they never tested her blood to figure out what the infection was. They apparently also should have drained the eye immediately and doesn't require any sedation at all. The vet says she might be able to pull through, but it would have been alot better if she had been getting the right medication 2 weeks ago when this all first started.

19. Lucysfriend

Lucysfriend Elite Member

Sorry to hear about that. Hopefully now that it has the right medication all will turn out. :) Good luck!

20. Merlin

Thats just great! Nothing like paying for incompetence! I would contact the local licensing board for veterinarians and file a complaint!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.