This Disappears When Logged In

Chameleon Changing Colors

Discussion in 'Chameleons' started by nateee04, May 1, 2011.

1. nateee04

nateee04 Well-Known Member

Need help with my chameleons. Why is my female veiled chameleon starting to get yellow stripes. Is she ready to breed or is she already gravid? Thanks.

Oh and That is a picture of their cage...

Attached Files:

2. missabrat

missabrat Elite Member

do you keep them both in the same enclosure?

3. nateee04

Yeah.....I havent seen her dig yet

4. missabrat

missabrat Elite Member

more than likely she is displaying gravid colors so that the male will leave her alone. Time to separate the two so he doesn't stress her.

5. nateee04

I hope she's gravid! I want baby chameleons lol

6. missabrat

missabrat Elite Member

do you have an incubator ready?

7. nateee04

No not now. Im either making one with sand and a bucket and a little purple heat light, buy one and use it for when I get my leopard geckos but its like $125, or use my grams but its like a styrafoam one with a light bulb and you have to turn the eggs everyday. So I don't know yet. Any suggestions? lol

8. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Reptile eggs are different than bird eggs. You do NOT turn them!
    If you do the embryo inside will die!

9. purplemuffin

purplemuffin Elite Member

Oh wow thanks for catching that Merlin. Yeah turning the eggs will give you dead eggs!! Make sure they do not roll turn flip or whatever! The side that is the top when the eggs are laid should stay at the top for the whole time.. Be careful!

I know with ball pythons people make incubators out of styrofoam/pastic coolers with heat tape connected to a thermostat, water bottles to help keep temps warm in the container even when you open the lid to check the eggs, and computer fans to circulate the heat... There are some tutorials on how to make your own online..Make sure you look up the specific temps and what is needed for chameleons specifically though.. Not birds!

10. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

11. nateee04

Oh well my gram said you turn the eggs but that is for her duck eggs. I was just thinking of duck eggs for some reason lol thanks I did not know that

12. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Your gram is correct on that. Birds eggs are turned to make sure that they are heated all the way thru.
    Reptiles are different. If you rotate them the embryo will drown.