This Disappears When Logged In

Cat Proofing?

Discussion in 'Help *General*' started by megnluigi, Apr 11, 2010.

1. megnluigi

megnluigi Active Member

Hey everyone, I was wondering if you guys have any ideas on what I could do to make sure my tank & and my Luigi are safe from harm & stress.

Luigi will be moving into my apartment soon. He's been staying at my mom's (just down the road) for the winter, and now that the weather is warming up, and the roads are slippery with snow or slush, I've deemed it 'safe to travel'.

I've noticed on the last time I was house sitting, Tink (the cat) has found it rather "fun" to get on top of his enclosure and watch. Because of this she's already made me get a new bulb, and almost killed my ballast system.

Here's a pic of the current layout at 'casa mom' luigi.jpg

The tank is sitting on a fishtank stand, and has two 6 inch ledges on both sides (I've used for holding his things i use every day, like his mister, etc). Unfortunately, Tink has also found that she can use that as a step up for her herp watching hobby. You may have noticed that we've made a makeshift curtain for him at nighttime; it seems to deter Tink the Explorer from too much interest.

Thankfully all cords are hidden at the back, and she can't touch the central hub of gear because of the stand's door. (yup, she's also a wire chewer...)

If you guys have any ideas at all.. they would really be appreciated! I don't want to stress out my gecko.

Edit - I'm starting to wonder about these "scat mat" products about... she's not deterred by a water spritzer any more

Attached Files:

2. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Stating the obvious, but the easiest way is to get another stand that`s slightly smaller than the tank, though I know cats can jump, not having a ledge might just help stop it. It must be quite stressful to have the cat (predator) staring at, or pawing? the glass!

3. fire2225ems

fire2225ems Subscribed User Premium Member

Try building a case that will go around the current tank and over the lights. That way even if the cat jumps up on top of it, it still can't see the critter inside or get to your lights.

4. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

Hi

I love cats, but they can get anywhere they want. I know that my cat doesn't like the water bottle, you could try that any time you see her attempting to jump up there you just give her/him a squirt. Also when I was setting up my baby room, the cat loved the crib. Well I wanted to break the habit so she wouldn't jump in when the baby came. This may sound cruel but if you use very low tacked tape, place the tape sticky side up on the surface you don't want her/him to jump on. for my cat this worked well, it only took one try. I guess the feeling of having something stuck to their fur really bugs them. another solution is they have these thing at the pet stores that deter cats from jumping on the counters, furniture etc. I am not exactly sure how they work, if its a blast of air or what. these things are triggered by motion. Well good luck

5. mld

Hi

You could also try just placing a chair beside the tank and hopefully sitting on the chair to watch will be enough. I did this with my bird cage.

Michele

6. megnluigi

megnluigi Active Member

Yeah, that would be the best option, but I got that one because it was the only thing i could find within an hour's drive of me that would fit. Trying to find thoes Exotera stands is tough!

I'm not sure how I'd go about that, and have a place to store it when I'm around... Maybe a tent like build... just need to figure out the design to get around the lamps and not have them overheat.

If Tink was smart... she would prolly have gotten the hint by now from the water bottle... she's a stubborn cat! I tried that sticky tack stuff on my couch to stop her from clawing.... the strips were black (with fur) in a week, and she still goes back :(

I'm gonna try and see what the local stores have in the sense of that deterrent "technology", i saw an add for "paws off" and 'scat mat" a while back on tv... does a static shock or something, have to look into it.

We have a chair near... I guess its not enough for her... she seems to go do the same for my rat's cage... likes the aerial view I guess :eek:

They're some good ideas, I wish Tink was smart enough to lean 'no means no'. Further pondering is required.. and as Pooh would say "Think. Think. Think"

7. mld

hey

If your cat is not too heavy you could make a frame and wrap metal mesh around that way your cat can look and it would be open enough to not let the lamps overheat. I got some wire mesh a home depot and its looks like small squares and is pretty strong, it also doesn't have the jagged pieces like chicken wire.

michele

8. IguanaMom

IguanaMom Elite Member

This sounds a little harsh, but it worked for me, We used a mild hot sauce, what I did was just put some on cotton balls and placed them near where the cat jumps up on the tank or the side of the stand.

It took our cat just a couple times of getting near it & he quit jumping on the tank.

It didnt hurt him he actually started sneezing, looking at us like what the heck is that?!

Nat & LaLA

9. megnluigi

megnluigi Active Member

hmm hot sauce... that could work... thats what one guy at a pet store told us to try for when my older cat was spayed... she kept going at her stitches! :s

10. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Can you, (or someone else), make a small base to put the tank on? 4 pieces of 2x2inch timber say 3 feet long, then just screw 4 pieces of 1/2 inch plywood 12inches deep x a little less than the width and depth of the tank, just screw together, then a piece for the top and sit the tank on it, this would be a couple of inches smaller than the tank. (It would look a little like a stool).

11. NowAndNever91

NowAndNever91 Elite Member

I seem to be having the same problem with my cat, it has gotten so bad for me I've had to lock my cat in another room! I've tryed the spray bottle thing and tryed cat proofing my enclosure also.
    Squirting my cat with water seems to work for me, but as of lately it hasn't.
    If it stresses your lizard out to much you could just move your tank to your room or another room, so you can just shut the door and the cat wouldn't have a way to stress him.
    There are a lot of good ideas here though :) I guess you could move Luigi to another room if everything fails.
    Good luck!

12. Frognut

Frognut Subscribed User Premium Member

Looking at the top, I'm not sure how you would manage it - but my cats HATE aluminum foil! I cover my large flower pots with it, leaving just a hole at the base of the plant to allow for water.

That has stopped them cold at trying to dig in my plants!

You might be able to make a tent of aluminum foil over the lights, high enough not to come in contact with the lights, but discourage investigating by the cat...

sorry - only think I could think of.. (the water works for me, but they know they only get squirted when someone is home! sneaky little devils!)

13. mld

I think that frognut had a great idea, cats hate aluminum foil, it's worth a try and it not to expensive!

14. LLoydene

LLoydene Elite Member

I also tried the aluminum foil for my plants and they discovered how to get into them any way.

There has only been one tried and true method for me and that is MOUSE TRAPS.. Scares the **** out of them when they set them off and I have found that after the first time, if they see a mouse trap in any location now, they aren't set off so that means they are staying clear of the location. This is for mine though, guess I can't guarantee it to be 100 % for others. And NO, my cats have never been caught by one. They tend to be to fast for it..

15. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

Take some hardware cloth from home depot or lowes and make an A frame over the top of the tank. This makes for no place for the cat to sit and nothing will overheat.

16. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

My dad used to use the tape idea to keep his cat from his fish tank - because of the filter gear and stuff, there was an opening at the back of the tank, and the cat would go fishing, and usually had some luck. We'd come home to find fish carcasses scattered throughout the house (and of course, he would hide some, so there were a few we didn't find until days later when they started to stink!). We used straight up duct tape - and it took a while, but the cat doesn't bother tanks anymore. Just stick loops of it sticky side out anywhere the cat might go, just make sure it isn't stuck too firmly to the tank/ledge whatever. You want it to come off and stick on the cat - he'll eventually get it off, but it will frustrate him in the meantime. And if you happen to witness it, you'll get a laugh too.

17. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

My first choice would be to put the enclosure in a room where the cat does not have access! Would you like to be locked in a place with no escape while some big tiger sat looking down at you wanting to eat you?
    Stressful!
    Second would be to build a box that sits on top of the tank that encloses all the lighting/heating equipment.

You got lucky when the cat just broke your bulbs. There have been many cases of cats knocking the heating equipment off of tanks and starting fires! This really needs to be addressed ASAP!

18. megnluigi

megnluigi Active Member

Luigi will be moving into my apartment soon enough.

I've managed to rig up a wire mesh "fence" around the top of the tank, and my mum found me a mesh 'umbrella' which fits over the lamps. Its not the prettiest, but Tink hasn't been on top of the tank in two days, so I'm hoping this stops it!

The plan is to keep Tink out of the room during the night, and have a 'privacy screen' around his tank while I'm out at work, or depending on which room his tank is in, even closing that room off. Unfortunately, living in a small one bedroom apartment doesn't give me many options to where Luigi sleeps.

Thanks for everyone's ideas on this!