This Disappears When Logged In

Carnivorous Plants

Discussion in 'Water Dragons' started by NorberttheWaterDragon, Oct 13, 2014.

1. NorberttheWaterDragon

NorberttheWaterDragon Well-Known Member

I was wondering weather it would be a good idea/safe to put carnivorous plant(s) in my tank with my water dragon?

He is pretty laid back so I don't plan on him destroying it; but if he does oh well.

The reason why I want these is because there are little bugs flying all over the place on the bottom of the tank and they are spreading into the rest of my house (already checked they are not fruit flies). I don't know what they are and why they keep coming around. I have deep cleaned the tank so many times. I also bought a little tank to keep him in bug sprayed the tank, cleaned that out let it air out, and they still come back. I have live plants in there all ready but I have had them forever(4years) so I don't know why bugs are showing up now; if they are from there. I have totally changed the substright and everything.

This is just my last idea. So if you guys know that they don't work please let me know what will.

2. CryHavoc17

CryHavoc17 Elite Member

Why dont you get some fly paper to put around the tank? That should prevent it from spreading around the house, and may take care of them in the cage too

3. NorberttheWaterDragon

I did, they still come back. thanks for the idea though.

what I haven't done is the carnivorous plant is why I am asking.

I have tried the tape, cleaning, bug spray (NOT while my baby was in there). putting trap out side the tank with orenge peels around it, nothing. Changing the dirt, plants, cleaning every few hours, fed him outside the tank; because I thought it was the pinky minces fault. I don't know why.

they like to hang around the bottom of the tank (his tank is 4 feet high right now). So I don't even know what the heck they are...

4. lizardhoarder139

lizardhoarder139 Elite Member

Omg are they little, black, nat like things with wings??
    I have those too and I cannot figure out where they cone from. They are in my dumerils monitor's temporary tank right now, and have been for awhile. They don't seem to bother the lizards tho.

5. BrownFoundling

BrownFoundling Established Member

Those sound like fungus gnats. They commonly come from potting soil that is kept too moist. The library I work in became inundated with these things and are still battling them a month after the horticulture department identified what they were for us and began treatment. Treatment consisted of letting the plants dry out and laying yellow sticky things on the soil in the pots. As wet as the two big pots the door were they probably still haven't dried out enough to kill the gnat eggs.

6. NorberttheWaterDragon

Oh that makes sense. OK so totally change the dirt and clean while the dirt is not in the tank might help. I hope they don't come back after this last time. I need to keep my tank moist all the time though for my Norbert(CWD) so I am not sure how this will work...

Keeping them away.

Welp here goes nothin.

7. crunchsupreme

crunchsupreme Member

I don't know about putting the plants in the tank with the lizard. I'm not sure if it would have any negative effects on it, and the possibility of the Dragon to trample it is always there. it couldn't hurt to atleast have a couple outside the tank in that particular room. I was having a bit of a fruit fly issue that I was able to clear up mostly myself, but ever since I got two carnivorous plants in my reptile room I having had any issues with insects. I still see some every so often in my Cuban anoles Viv but it isn't an issue and they don't last.

I recommend grabbing a plant or two. They're very attractive plants as it is and they should definitely help clear the house of the bugs. I'm planning on getting more myself.

8. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Fungus gnats will just keep coming back.

Cp's don't work as well as you think, and many have very particular requirements for their care. Very specific soil, etc. Many don't tolerate any fertilizers or nutrients in their soil (CWD poop...) but if you want to give it a shot it won't hurt. Just don't invest in an expensive plant that has a good chance of getting destroyed. I grow all kinds of CPs. The best ones for this would be Drosera. Nature's own flypaper. Depending the variety you get, some can be quite weedy and prolific, and even if your CWD tore them up, they would likely recover, or just set seed and multiply.

D. capensis is a very weedy species - it spreads like wildfire in terreriums if allowed to bloom, and can die back, and regenerate from the roots.

D. intermedia (tropical variety) is likewise prolific.
    Intermedia (6).jpg

Last edited: Oct 26, 2014