This Disappears When Logged In

Caring for a Hatchling Blue Tongue Skink

Discussion in 'Skinks' started by Dlooney, Dec 22, 2014.

1. Dlooney

Dlooney New Member

I've done hours of research on these little guys and am going to be having one shipped to me soon. Anyone have some tips or insight on raising the baby.. Like what it eats being so young. Also I bought a basking light 75w, a 15w UVB light and and day light.. Sphagnum moss for the substrate... Any advice will be greatly appreciated and will help me towards giving this wonderful specimen a great life it deserves

2. Helios

Helios Elite Member

I can't speak to blue tongues specifically, but since no one's answered this thread and I have raised fire skinks from newly hatched, and have had very young lizards of other species. Generally, most species of hatchling lizards have the same diet as adults. You're going to see a greater intake of food, and you'll also have a greater need for more protein and calcium. Again though, as I don't have experience specifically with blue tongues, I can't say 100% what their specific needs are. One piece of advice I do have some knowledge of: Avoid canned dog food. It's one of those practices that "works" but ultimately isn't really ideal.