This Disappears When Logged In

Care Credit - Be Prepared

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Rich, Aug 14, 2012.

1. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

It is the responsibility of each person to be able to pay for the animals in their care. Many people fail to realize that this includes unforeseen vet bills that could arise. I bring this up because someone on facebook is currently seeking donations to pay for her vet bills so that her Tegu can receive a possible life saving surgery. I do understand why she is seeking help but she was clearly not prepared for this since she is hoping the community will pitch in and help her pay for it. I am posting so that others don't fall into the same situation that she has found herself in.

Care credit is a credit card that can be used to pay for vet bills, dental work, etc. It is free to apply and will offer you some peace of mind knowing that you have that extra means of finance in case anything arises with your pet. I have been a care credit card holder now for over 12 years. It sleeps in my wallet in case any emergencies pop up. I suggest everyone who can, apply for the card. It isn't like a Visa or MasterCard and can't be used to buy gas or groceries. The card is specifically designed for health care of yourself and pets.

I think everyone should at least learn more about this so that you don't end up like the girl looking for help to pay for a surgery that her Tegu needs.

You can learn more here: CareCredit® Veterinary Financing for Pet Care, Pet Surgery, Vaccinations & Other Veterinary Medicine Procedures

You can apply here: CareCredit® Healthcare Finance - Payment Plans and Financing for Cosmetic Surgery, Dental, Vision, Hearing, Veterinary & Other Medical Procedures

2. Jflores

Jflores Elite Member

Awesome Post!!! In my personal opinion everyone who is able to do this should take advantage and enroll!!! Emergencies happen without out warning and if you’re not prepared for things to happen then you are in for a nasty surprise.

3. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

You should make this a sticky so its easy to find!

4. Rich

Hey Michele, moderators have the ability to stick threads. Just sayin. :) I already stuck it though. It's at the top of the general discussion.

5. mrsplumbfitt

mrsplumbfitt Well-Known Member

Ok quick question since you have one. Do you make monthly payments even if you haven't used it yet? Or does it sit dorment until used? Im going to apply for one but I want to make sure I dont add another bill right now unless we use it!

6. NudistApple

NudistApple Well-Known Member

It is really important to make sure you pay off your Care Credit balances in a timely manner though. They have very high interest rates, and it can get out of hand pretty quickly.

7. brooksy

brooksy Elite Member

This is a great thing to have as backup but would strongly recommend having an emergency pet account to use first before needing to use it. That way a smaller bill is paid in cash but if something happens to numerous pets or an extremely expensive situation occurs then you have it handy to get the procedures done.
    I went to check it out and unfortunately is only works in the USA. Canada, has far as I know doesn't have this available. Which just means us Canadians must put extra cash aside or have an empty credit card just in case.

8. Rich

You don't have a bill unless you use it.

9. mrsplumbfitt

mrsplumbfitt Well-Known Member

Ok thanks rich! Im new to the whole card world! Haha!

10. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

I just keep a normal credit card on standby (we use it every month or so for a tank of gas, and pay it off, just to keep it active) for ANY emergency. I could get my house re-sided with it, if I had to, lol. The upside is that in addition to the standard vet care, it would also enable me to pay for any other extras I may need (quarantine tank, new heater, special equipment/supplies) that may need to be purchased separately from the care itself. Used it to fix my foot when I fudged it badly. Has been very handy with regards to herp care. Vets can sure rob you blind!