This Disappears When Logged In

Can't Anyone Help?

Discussion in 'Corn Snakes' started by Leanne130, Jul 31, 2017.

1. Leanne130

Leanne130 Established Member

I'm a first time snake owner; I always loved snakes and I thought I would get one of my own; I had read that corns are a great starter snake so I bought a wee motley corn snake (shakira:)) I didn't ask what age she was when I got her, (such a silly move) but I'm guessing she's not very old; when I got her she was so small like a little worm and I have been feeding her 1 pinkie on a wednes day and 1 on a sunday; I went to local pet store and he told me to try her with a fluff, but I'm not sure if I have to give her 1 a week or continue her normal feeding pattern; can anyone advise me on this?

Also I'm worried as I think she is starting to shed; reasons for this is because her colour is duller around her middle section whereas near her head and tail are brighter; she also has started hiding more, normally she would be quite active but today she has been in her hide, apart from when I brought her coconut off her to soak in water; is this normal around shedding time?

I have made sure her temps are all correct it sits between 26.5 and 30 degrees; has never been over 30; I see she is always in the cold hide, I understand that they don't go into heat all the time; they like to be cool; just making sure everything is okay for her as I want her to be happy:D any advice would be greatly appreciated; thank you in advice<3 Snapchat-210471120.jpg Snapchat-210471120.jpg Snapchat-210471120.jpg Snapchat-210471120.jpg Snapchat-1972429026.jpg Snapchat-210471120.jpg Snapchat-1972429026.jpg

2. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

How are you checking the temperatures?

3. Leanne130

I have a thermometer; I will get a picture and show you now here:)

4. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Great just saw the picture. The digital is the way to go. A lot of people get the cheap analogs and they are garbage.

Leanne130 likes this.
  5. toddnbecka

toddnbecka Well Established Member

You can feed growing young snakes every 5 days, but once weekly is quite sufficient. Feeding more often will make them grow a little faster, but personally I don't like to "push" them. The enclosure looks like a fair size for that one for about the first year. A plastic tub would allow for some taller ornaments, corns do like to climb a bit if given the opportunity.

Leanne130 likes this.
  6. Leanne130

Yeah I was told she feeds every wednesday and Sunday so she Is clearly still young, yeah was planning on getting a bigger terrarium when she gets older, I will see how she does for now and if she still seems hungry I will swap for fuzzys! Thank you:)