This Disappears When Logged In

Can you train a frog?

Discussion in 'Tree Frogs' started by big fred, Jan 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. big fred

big fred Elite Member

okay, maybe a stupid question, but it's the weekend and everybody went shopping. left me here by myself, i'm good with that.i feed my wtf in a 10 gallon tank, not his enclosure. i sometimes have a hard time catching him to do so. what if i rang a bell or something of that nature right when i feed him? do ya think he'd come out of his hiding spot to go and eat?

2. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

It would be worth a shot.
    Animals can be conditioned to perform certain behaviors by food rewards so I don't see why not.

I know my green iguana will follow me all over the house if she even THINKS that I have a peice of bread!

3. Lucysfriend

Lucysfriend Elite Member

I dont know about frogs being trained but its worth a shot!
    Lucy my CWD only goes in her water lol but I think thats more of a natural behavior.
    But she seems to know her name!
    Merlin-Why would your ig want bread? It maybe a dumb question but I'm just curious.
    I never had an ig havent really been around one either now that I think of it!

4. kenman1963

kenman1963 Moderator

You could try, I trained my leos to poop in 1 specific spot which is awesome, I keep a few napkins there and just switch them every day. It sure makes cleanup easier. I just wish I could do the same for the snakes, beardie, and turtles.

5. ryanpb

ryanpb Elite Member

I'm actuly really curios how you trained the leo to go in one spot. thats pretty cool.

6. Typhanie

Typhanie Elite Member

Why not give it a shot? It's only fair. They have us trained pretty well, after all! ;)

7. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

She REALLY likes bread! She will stand on her hind legs and beg for it. If you happen to be sitting down she will be in your lap trying to get it away from you! And with a 4-5ft iguana that is an interesting situation!
    She doesn't get it very often but she really like it. I have heard similar stories from other ig keepers

8. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

i would be interested in how that goes....

I have no problem catching my frogs, they sit and wait for me. In fact, half the time they jump out and splat on my arm.

9. Lucysfriend

Lucysfriend Elite Member

I would LOVE to see both the trained frog AND the ig who begs for bread! lmao:D

10. Moshpitrockchick

Moshpitrockchick Subscribed User Premium Member

Dizzy will do the same thing for Watermelon, he'll even climb you like a tree to smell your breath afterward, he's such a pest that I had to stop wearing melon lip gloss.

11. caudalis_sa

caudalis_sa Elite Member

....that rat pup lip gloss did the same thing with summa my herps

12. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

i think i might barf...

13. Lucysfriend

Lucysfriend Elite Member

hahahaha who knew lip gloss could be such a problem!:eek:

14. Spacemut16

Spacemut16 Member

A lot of leopard geckos will go in one spot without any training.

15. urorex

urorex Elite Member

just to let you know you didnt train your leopard gecko to do that. they all do that. they pic a spot to do the deed and allways use the same spot. so it would be a good idea to put paper down where you found his first poop and then he would go on the paper all the time. trust me you didnt train it to do this

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.