This Disappears When Logged In

Can You See Snake Mite Eggs?

Discussion in 'Ball Pythons' started by Elaina, Sep 6, 2017.

1. Elaina

Elaina New Member

Hello! I have just got a ball python 2 weeks ago and he has mites. (I knew about them before getting a snake and checked to see if he had any but I honestly didn't think he had any at the time) I have been taking many steps to take care of the problem (Cleaning the tank everyday, using Natural Chemical Reptile Spray (I used diluted bleach the first day on the tank and cleaned it with regular water after until no bleach smell), spraying him with it and letting it sit before cleaning him off and giving him a bath - I do this for two days straight and not for a third but still clean the tank- still I would love to hear your ideas on how to get rid of them) But my question is when do you know they are gone for good? Also can you SEE the eggs? The reason I ask is because while cleaning the area around the tank today (there is a shelf above his tank) I saw what looks like eggs and when I roll my fingernail over them they pop. I do have two cats (one of which does climb onto the shelf) and they are going through flea treatments right now. They LOOK like flea eggs, but I'm still scared that they are MITE eggs. So, can you actually see mite eggs?

2. Darkbird

Darkbird Moderator Staff Member

While I've never seen mite eggs, that probably doesn't mean you cant, just that I haven't really looked. Treating mites is not a short term thing, so be prepared for a long process. My norm regimen includes treating the animal weekly for 1-2 months, while maintaining very spartan conditions in the cage. Paper towel substrate, a single hide and a water dish. Makes it much easier to spot any mites. Any particulate substrate should be discarded, preferably in a sealed bag and removed from the premises immediately.