This Disappears When Logged In

Can You Please Help Me Understand Salmonella?

Discussion in 'Help *General*' started by Fade, Apr 20, 2018.

1. Fade

Fade Member

I just went to a local reptile store and help a baby corn snake. It was amazing, I asked them to hold it for a few days. I wanted to go to the local expo to see what they carry and their prices first.

I have questions about salmonella.

Okay after I held it, we went to a gas station to get gas, and there was antibacterial soap by the gas pump.

I know you should wash your hands after handling reptiles.

I know if I get salmonella, as I am a typical healthy adult, I will just have food poisoning symptons for maybe 3-7 days. It suck, but isn't deadly to me. The big thing is I have my young nephews and neice visit 3-4 days a week.

So I need to know everything on how to avoid getting them sick. I obviously won't let them handle or touch the snake.

I see people have their snake go up their arm, or around there neck. Can't I get sick if I scratch my neck where it was then scratch my eye or whatever?

The baby snake was crawling on my sweatshirt, do I have to wash that before wrestling with my nephews and I can't hold my baby niece?

I know people say don't get paranoid about it, but I don't want to get my nephews and niece sick.

What if I put my snake on my bed, would salmonella be on there, so my nephews can't go on my bed or I have to wash sheets right away.

I really need help on this asap.

Tell me everything you can. I can't find the answers I'm looking for.

(After handling the snake, I went home to get rid of my sweatshirt, washed my hands, then went over to hold my niece. Am I overreacting?)

Thanks.

2. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Just practice good hygene. Keep cages clean, hand washing, don't kiss the animal, etc. The bacteria is shed in the feces. In order to infect you, the bacteria has to be introduced thru contact with mucus membranes. I have numerous grandkids who have handled my animals for years and have never had an issue.
    It's not over reacting to be concerned about something you don't understand that could be harmful. Just be aware but don't let it make you crazy.

3. Fade

Fade Member

Thanks, so keep cages clean, wash hands, and don't touch my eyes, nose, ears, etc until after washing my hands? Do I need to make sure my nephews wash their hands and don't touch their face until then?

4. Fade

Fade Member

Do you know how long salmonella would last on a surface or clothing?

5. Fade

Fade Member

I completely understand to wash hands after handling reptiles and don't touch my face until then. The problem I don't understand is what happens after. Say I handled my snake, then touched my phone, then washed my hands before preparing food, then touched my phone to check something, then ate lunch.

Or how I handled the snake at the pet store. It crawled around the wrist part of my sweatshirt. I wore it today a day later and scratched my nose with my wrist part of the sweatshirt inadvertenly.

That is what I need to know more about.

6. Merlin

Yes. They need to always wash after them handling

7. Merlin

Any where from a few weeks to years unless cleaned. Lysol spray is good disinfectant.

8. Merlin

Salmonella bacteria is everywhete in the environment. It just boils down basic cleanliness.
    You're actually more likely to contract salmonella from the raw choken that you just bought.