This Disappears When Logged In

Can Someone Please Help? Mexican King Not Eating...

Discussion in 'Kingsnakes' started by Shelby0903, Sep 3, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Shelby0903

Shelby0903 New Member

Hi guys, I have a 2 year old MBK and for the past month and a bit, he has been refusing food. Hes just not interested at all.
    He had been moved up to rats before this problem after being on extra large mice for around 3 months or so.
    He ate the rats the first three times...once a week without an issue but then has since stopped completely.
    I've tried scenting the rat with its brain matter, obviously wiggling it, leaving the rat in his vivarium overnight...they have just been going to waste. I've also tried offering him both smaller sized rats as well as smaller mice...even pinkies but again, nothing.

Over the last few weeks, I've been offering the food each week but should I refrain from this and offer him every two weeks instead to preven waste?
    I don't really know what to do. He hasn't shed in a while and doesn't look like he's lost any weight. He's still as active as ever and handles well though. Is it time for a vet visit?

Thanks

2. AmityReptiles

AmityReptiles Well Established Member

Please include a detailed description of enclosure conditions and husbandry specs.

3. Shelby0903

Shelby0903 New Member

He's in a 4x2 ft vivarium and he is around 4.5 feet long.
    He has a heatmat which varies between 84-89 degrees Fahrenheit. Cool side around 72 degrees Fahrenheit. Doesn't have any lighting, I was advised against it as the sunlight coming into the room is enough.
    He has plenty of climbing apparatus...branches, etc and is generally quite an active climber.
    He's on aspen bedding and has been since young.

Anything else you would like to know?

4. AmityReptiles

How are you measuring temps? Has he recently come out of a cooling period with temps lower than normal?

5. Shelby0903

Shelby0903 New Member

He has a Habistat thermostat along with separate thermometer on both the hot and cool side to monitor and keep the heat between those temperatures.
    And no, he hasn't as far as I'm aware.
    Could this be a breeding season issue as I've read they commonly stop eating for that...or is it not that time of year?

6. AmityReptiles

Well it could be. It's really late though. Either way male snakes in general tend to periodically go off food for periods of time, with seemingly no good reason. I wouldn't worry unless you see some substantial weight loss. I would wait 2 weeks to feed this next time. Unless you think he may be impacted. But if its to the point he stopped eating you should feel a considerable mass in his belly.

7. AmityReptiles

Some snakes can start breeding season this late, my hognoses are still breeding. Not sure bout mbk's though.