This Disappears When Logged In

Can leos really climb

Discussion in 'Leopard Geckos' started by LeopardGeckoMom52688, Feb 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LeopardGeckoMom52688

LeopardGeckoMom52688 Elite Member

I have a 3 year old male leopard gecko that I finally saw climb...

[​IMG]

Is this okay. Because if so I would love to put something like that in my 30 gallon tank. I like how I have his tank set up. But this is what I caught him doing when the lights went out!

2. Moshpitrockchick

Moshpitrockchick Subscribed User Premium Member

My girls love to climb, as long as the cage is securely covered I don't see a problem with letting a healthy leo climb and explore their cage. As long as he has a safe landing area I'd say its fine.

3. iam_a_legend06

iam_a_legend06 Well-Known Member

yeah my leos climb constantly in there every search for crickets plus one of my females actually sleeps up on a branch in the enclosure

4. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Hello,

When supplying a Leopard Gecko with climbing materials, should try to offer them items that are low laying. You don't want anything that is too high, where the fall could injure them.

I personally think those branches don't have enough "meat" to hold on to. I also think rock and other larger/thicker iotems would be more natural for them as well as safer. (They have little tiny nails because they aren't designed to be climbing small structures like tree branches. They use those nails for burrowing nd climbing over the rocks in their natural terrain.)

5. GeckoMandi

GeckoMandi Elite Member

Before I switched a rack system my geckos climbed everywhere (had them in tanks)!! I really think they like it, but I agree keep things on a lower level so they don't get hurt.

6. joeking

joeking Elite Member

Yeah Skittles loves climbing...but she's not very good at it, so like the others say keep things fairly low to the ground.

7. Reptile Freak

Reptile Freak Elite Member

Yah in the day time they generaly stick to the ground. But i see mine climbing constanly at night. The crickets aparently figured that they were safe up there.:D
    My friend who went to Afghanastan as a Canaidian soldier observed one climbing, apparently looking for spiders and other bugs. He was lucky enough to see em catch one.
    -Stephen

8. HoanIsMyBallPython

HoanIsMyBallPython Elite Member

cool

Id love to see a leo eat a spider.Is your friend back yet.

9. Reptile Freak

Yah he's back. Why do you ask?
    -stephen

10. lizardlover

lizardlover Member

Of course. My Leopard Gecko with a bad leg and deformed toes can climb. In my cage my Gecko love climbing on a huge steep tree stump. they climb all the way to the top

11. HoanIsMyBallPython

why i ask

Well just becouse i wsih everyone would come back.I know 2 people over there and when i hear that someone else is there i want them to come back.

12. Reptile Freak

Yeah I know how you feel. I was so freeken worried about him when he went over. Hope your friends get back safe.;) :)
    -Stephen

13. HoanIsMyBallPython

Me to

One is a cousin the other is a friend of mine i hope they come back to

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.