This Disappears When Logged In

Can I Put the Ficus Microcarpa Plant in the Panther 's Cage?

Discussion in 'Chameleons' started by nguyentrachuy, Jun 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nguyentrachuy

nguyentrachuy Active Member

Hi all,

I just got Panther chameleon yesterday. I had been setup the cage for him. I put two Ficus microcarpa in the cage. Is it toxic plants for him? On the top of cage I setup a drip system for he drink the water.

I put the cage near by the window. Temperature is 28-35 C. is it too hot for him?

Tks and regards.

2. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

Ficus plants are fine. They are on melissa kaplan's site for edible plants.

I would avoid putting the cage in direct sun. It can get hot very fast, and there is no benefit of the sun, because the screen and glass eliminate the UVB coming through.

One of our experts will be around with the temp info.

3. titus

titus Elite Member Premium Member

The ficus is fine the sap is little toxic but your panther won't eat the plant and even if it did Veilds eat ficus without problems. You have to remember that when people say toxic they mean to us not really animals. Just keep the plant outside the cage if you trim it until the wounds heal. 35C is a bit hot for the over all temp. The only area you want that hot is just under the heat lamp. 31 is a better max over all temp. Let the nights drop into the 20's and even as low as 17C in winter. If there's a area that's a lower temp that he could get to then 35C isn't too bad if that's at the top of the cage. If not get the temp down a bit. I would recommend getting the cage away from the window any way. Any place where a cage gets direct sunlight is a no no unless it's a mesh cage.

4. nguyentrachuy

Thank so much for all. My panther cage not get direct sunlight. Just only this area feel hot. So can I put it in my room with the air cold?

5. titus

If the cage isn't getting direct sunlight and is getting that hot I would guess you need a slightly lower watt heat lamp. I use a 75 watt and the temps at the top of my cages are between 28-31C depending on the time of year. I wouldn't put the cage in a room that's too cool or you'll have trouble getting the temps right when the weather changes. It's also alright if you don't have a really large temp drop in summer. I just gave you the winter low and about where mine are getting right now. The night temps for my cages here are now between 22-24C but more or less is fine with panthers.

6. nguyentrachuy

So can I check with you.

how can I support vitamin and calcium for my panther. The way you do for your.

7. titus

I use a Herpatal complete T once a week for my chams and then 2 more times a week Herpetal Mineral. I don't know if they sell this where you live but it's the best product I've found. The best about it is that it is very fine ground so it sticks to any feeder. If you can't find it Necktro products are just as good though abit larger grain. Also if you cham won't eat dusted feeders just feed form a box where the bottom is dusted he'll get some when he goes to eat the feeders.

8. Og_

Og_ Elite Member

I attach a plastic cup with a clothespin, sprinkle a dash of commercial calcium with vitamin d3 in the bottom of the cup and then put the feeders in it.

9. nguyentrachuy

yes. I'll try to do it. Tks for all

10. nguyentrachuy

so have some question again.

The panther chameleon need to eat the plants like Iguana or not? and what 's kind of the plants good for him? why we need give him plants to eat?
    And one day can I handle him for few time or not. my panther still young around 3 month.

11. titus

Panthers don't need plants as food they will very, very rarely eat some leaf from the plant their sitting in, But are mainly insectivores. Veiled chameleons seem to have a taste for ficus and will eat any new growth though I saw this more in males than females.

12. nguyentrachuy

So how about handle?

13. titus

Sorry I must have looked over that part. It's very possible younger Panthers are not so friendly but as they get older (over 6 month) most will calm down. I've found panthers to be one of the tamest species of chams. Our one 1.5 year female always came to the front of the cage to be taken out, and still moves to me when I'm working in the reptile room. This matters a bit on locality too though. Nosy Mitisu seem to be rather shy and want to be left alone. Though Nosy be, Ambilobe, and the other more kept localites seem to be the most friendly after time. Large cages or free roaming seem to help tame a cham down though keep it to every now and again (1-2 month) If you have the space put a large plant by a window and put a extra light on it, so you cham has a place to roam now and again.

Best of all is to let the chameleon make the choice and don't force hanlding on it, their will always be a few that want nothing to do with people. But most will give in to exploring and find climbing you is the perfect way out.

14. nguyentrachuy

Thanks for your reply.

Today when I saw my Panther drink the water. after he drink I saw him open his mouth inside have a lot saliva, and I think he can't breathe. and around 6pm I saw he sleep with his mouth is opening. I so scare. I touch him then he was closed his mouth.

Now 10PM go go to see him and i saw him open his mouth when he is sleeping again. i so worry.
    So can I know what is the happening with my panther?

15. titus

What color is the inside of the mouth? Also is breathing labored? Or any noises while breathing? How high are the temps? Chameleons will often open their mouths for long periods if it's really hot.

16. nguyentrachuy

The color inside his mouth is normal, not breathe labored. also don't have nosies. The temps is aroung 32 c. My panther ate and drink is ok. He alway drink so much. Is it belong to the temp so hight?

17. titus

The temp is alittle high try bringing it down to about 28C. The basking area under the lamp will still be over 30c but that's ok, You really just don't want the overall temps for the cage that high.

18. nguyentrachuy

hi,

me again. can I ask about my panther again.

Can I use the UVB 10.0 for my panther? is it ok? somebody told me for my panther only can use UVB 5.0.

and he also tell me about my panther need bring him to natural sunlight at least one week one time. if no my panther will sleep so much. and feel weak.

SO is it true??

Sorry, my English not good.

19. titus

I would stick with the 5.0 unless your light is farther away or your cage is very tall, and then not even as a full time light but maybe only 3-4 hours a day. Natural sunlight is a plus but not needed with proper lighting and suplmentation.

20. nguyentrachuy

so my cage around 8cm x 8cm. So can I use UVB 10.0?

Now my panther also lost water. he sleep so much. can I open his mouth then put water?

Now he not eat anymore

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.