This Disappears When Logged In

Can I Make An Enclosure Out Of Drywall?

Discussion in 'Tegu' started by Pranav, Feb 4, 2018.

1. Pranav

Pranav Member

The title pretty much sums up my question, but I am interested in this, because I found drywall the perfect dimensions, for very cheap.

2. AmityReptiles

AmityReptiles Well Established Member

No... it doesn't hold weight and would disintegrate almost instantly if it got wet.

3. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

You can use for a backer and apply vinyl linoleum over top. Making sure to seal all corners.

4. Pranav

Pranav Member

Actually, I was just planning to make the sides out of drywall and make a wooden bottom so that it sustains heat. I was also going to seal the drywall. The enclosure is going to be on the floor, so holding weight isn't a problem.

5. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

Structurally, drywall is not nearly strong enough, is heavy, and pretty fragile. With all the extra framing your going to need to build to actually make the cage solid, and the extra work of trying to seal such a fragile surface (compared to plywood at least), I think you'll find your deal on drywall will end up costing you more in the end.

6. Pranav

Pranav Member

What do you all suggest is the cheapest way for me to build a 6x3x3 enclosure? (I don't need a 8x4x4 enclosure because I plan to free-roam my future tegu almost all of the time (except for when I go to school and when me and my tegu go to sleep)).

7. AmityReptiles

I suggest going to your nearest construction supply recycling center (like habitat for humanity) You can find some discounted plywood and a sliding door of some sort. Or you might find something else there you can use if you look around abit.
    For tegus you might need some FRP (fiberglass reinforced plastic) to seal up your substrate level in the enclosure.

8. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

BAD IDEA!
    Tegus need warmth and humidity far above what is comfortable for humans. Without this they will decline and die. These are dependant upon proper conditions for them to survive.

Darkbird likes this.
  9. Atroxus

Atroxus Well-Known Member

If AmityReptiles suggestion doesn't work for you, it might also be worth checking around(Facebook, craigslist, etc) to see if anyone in your area has plywood they don't need, but is looking for drywall. Maybe setup a swap, then buy whatever amount of drywall you agree to trade for plywood?

10. Atroxus

Atroxus Well-Known Member

I know of at least one person who does this, and as far as I can tell their tegu seems healthy. Seems to be a solid weight, active, inquisitive, and gives whole new meaning to the term "dog tame". He literally goes and waits by their door to be let outside when he wants to poop.(Though if they don't see him fast enough he just does his business by the door) The tegu is free to roam their house, but of course is also able to roam back into the enclosure at any time where the temp and humidity are higher.

11. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I have also known people who try to do this with reptiles and it always ends up badly.
    Without proper temps and humidity the animal cannot properly digest food and will have a greatly diminished immune response.

12. Pranav

Pranav Member

I mean, I was planning to keep the enclosure door open and set up basking spots in my room so that he could go there if he feels like it. I've heard as long as you take the right precautions and monitor your humidity and temperatures, you should be fine. (I also have a lot of sun coming into my room, so a lot of natural UV.

13. Pranav

Pranav Member

What I'm wondering is, why does the cage need to be strong? Do tegus tend to want to escape? I tried to find info on that but I can't find anything on it.

14. AmityReptiles

It needs to be strong so it doesn't collapse onto your lizard, and yes your tegu would probably tear the drywall to shreds, or lean on it wrong and it would break. Also with a tegus humidity requirements and having water in the enclosure the drywall will probably mold or disintegrate, even if you attempt to seal it. It's much more trouble than it is worth.

15. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, if you mean sunlight through a closed window the UVB will not pass through the glass, and if the enclosure is placed where sunlight falls on it it can easily overheat.
    "Free roaming" is not recommended unless the conditions closely resemble the animal`s natural habitat (climate wise) which they usually do not. Perhaps your friend`s Tegu seems "tame" because it`s undermetabolised after being outside it`s controlled environment for relatively long and regular periods?
    I don`t know what "Dry wall" is, can you link me to some?

16. Qwerty3159

Qwerty3159 Elite Member

Sheet rock, plasterboard and gypsum board are some other terms for it.

murrindindi likes this.
  17. Pranav

Pranav Member

Shop Continental Building Products (Common: 1/2-in x 4-Ft x 12-Ft; Actual: 0.5-in x 4-ft x 12 Feet) Liftlite Drywall Panel at Lowes.com

18. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

19. Pranav

Pranav Member

I was planning to make a budget of $35. I already have wood for a cage floor. I was just wondering though, would I be able to keep good humidity and temperatures if my enclosure had a mesh top?

20. AmityReptiles

Not for a tegu. It would need to be enclosed as much as possible.