This Disappears When Logged In

Can I Keep Fish with FBTs?

Discussion in 'Toads' started by Benn-bmx, Jun 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Benn-bmx

Benn-bmx Banned User

I am getting some fire bellied toads and was wondering if i could have some small fish in with them?

2. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

I don't think you could.

FBTs produce a toxin and would most likely create the death of your fish.

3. Benn-bmx

Benn-bmx Banned User

Oh okay then, I wasn't sure if that would work. I should be getting a male and a female fbt in the next few weeks. I'm thinking of making it a fully aquatic tank with a water filter in it and some leaves in or a big rock thing that sticks out the water so the fbts can get out the water.

4. schlegelbagel

As long as they have a place to get out of the water, than thats fine. Consider turtle docks too, they will raise and lower with the height of the water. They are semi-aquatic so they need resting places. I have a few fake plants in there which create a place to land as well.

5. fire2225ems

fire2225ems Subscribed User Premium Member

When you say "fully aquatic" how deep are you talking? They don't need that deep of water, and if it is to deep then they won't be able to get out. Just keep in mind that they are only semi-aquatic frogs...

6. Benn-bmx

Benn-bmx Banned User

i was thinking like 2 - 3 inches of water. roughly how big would the tank need to be because i has a large exo-terra faunarium that i could use?

7. schlegelbagel

Actually, the water can be as deep as you want. They are good swimmers. Mine are in 6 inches and do just fine, as long as they have places to rest and get out. I have no idea how big a faunarium is. They need more floor (swim) space then height, they aren't climbers.

I have 4 in a standard 29 gallon, to give you some idea of space.

Be sure you have very good filtration. They are kinda like turtles and they make a mess. Their toxins build up. I do a full water change once every 3 weeks.

8. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Faunariums come in different sizes.
    Which one do you have?

9. Benn-bmx

Benn-bmx Banned User

A large one. but do not worry, im going to get a 20 gal aquarium as the pet shop down the road sells them for £25

10. Annababe

Annababe Elite Member

Mine are climbers, but that may be because I have provided them with a lizard lounge and some plants up high, so, if you do have stuff like that in your tank........................... make sure you have a good, secure lid too :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.