This Disappears When Logged In

Can I Give My Red Eyed Crocodile Skink Dead Insect

Discussion in 'Skinks' started by captsmoker, Jan 15, 2018.

1. captsmoker

captsmoker New Member

im planning to get a croc skink but i dont want to deal with live food, can i just give it dried mealworm or dried cricket for the rest of its lives? if i cant, what is the easiest live food to care and not disgusting?

2. Qwerty3159

Qwerty3159 Elite Member

I've never had an animal that would accept the dried mealworms or crickets.

Live mealworms are pretty easy to care for especially if you don't breed them you just keep them in the fridge in their cup and take some out for feeding. They don't smell like crickets do or make any noise so it's not a bad idea to breed your own

3. Darkbird

Darkbird Moderator Staff Member

Same here, only things I've even gotten to eat stuff like that are species that will naturally scavenge carrion in the wild, mostly my turtles. I would also point out that mealworms aren't really a good stand alone diet.

4. AmityReptiles

AmityReptiles Well Established Member

Another thing you can do is throw your gut loaded live insects into the freezer. That way you keep the nutrition of the live food without the hassle of keeping them when they aren't being eaten. Most skinks will take dead food... (not 100% sure on the red eyeds though)

5. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Most insect eaters are triggered by movement.
    Add to that...insects are really a transportation system to get the gut load material into the animal. With the dead freeze dried bugs you may be feeding nothing but dry husks.