This Disappears When Logged In

Can A Kingsnake Become Used To The Smell Of Other Herps?

Discussion in 'Kingsnakes' started by KhantiMetta, Oct 6, 2015.

1. KhantiMetta

KhantiMetta Active Member

My young king, Meridia, as always been a very sweet girl. I'd hold her right after holding my cornsnake and she never reacted to his scent. Never tried to bite me even with her strong feed response. Chillest snake I've had. However, I just purchased a blue-tongue skink and she has been going nuts ever since. She bit her first person yesterday, my boyfriend, after he had held the skink, and just now she attacked my blanket four times (I had a great laugh). So I'm just wondering if she might settle down after awhile if she realizes that that smell doesn't necessarily mean food? Just wondering if that's a possibility haha, thank you!

2. DwarvenChef

DwarvenChef Elite Member

Lizards are most kingsnakes first food, and they are hardwired at birth to strike that scent. Many problem feeders at birth are coaxed into eating pinks by rubbing a bit of lizard skin on the new food item. I used Anoles scent to kick start my picky kings and it worked like a charm :)

3. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Adding to that, snakes are really pretty primitive creatures driven by instinct.
    If you smell like food, you are probably going to get bitten.
    Simple solution and one that you should be practicing anyways,...wash your hands thoroughly after handling ANY animal.

DwarvenChef likes this.
  4. toddnbecka

toddnbecka Well Established Member

Indeed, anything that smells like food may be bitten. I picked up one of my little thayeri kings a few days ago after handling mice while cleaning their tubs, and the wee serpent latched onto my finger. I had to run a quick shot of cold water over her head to get her to let go. Usually when a snake grabs a finger they soon realize their mistake and let go, but not this time around. She didn't strike, just tried to eat the finger, and didn't even draw blood. Just left a bit of snake slobber, lol.

DwarvenChef likes this.
  5. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

Yep, I've made the mistake of smelling like food a couple times. Once was with my old male Burmese, he taught me to be much more careful after that (no permanent scars, lol).