This Disappears When Logged In

Caging =]

Discussion in 'African Fat-tailed Geckos' started by DPBragg, Jun 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DPBragg

DPBragg Member

is a Cage Thats
    19x14x24 ok for an AFT?
    [LxWxH]

Donovan

2. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

That pretty much describes the absolute minimal size you could provide. That size is depictive of a 10 gallon tank, which has very little floor space. if you could, try to offer a larger enclosure size for the fat-tailed gecko. It would be easier to create a heat gradient, and it would also offer more room for the geck itself.

Welcome to the HC Network!

3. DPBragg

DPBragg Member

Well, i dont have the money for A REAL GLASS TANK. im making this one from a piece of furniturep[dont worry its not pine] but is it ok for a baby-adult until i get a bigger or more money to buy a glass tank.
    =]
    DONOVAN

4. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

How can you afford a gecko if you can't afford a glass tank? You should be able to pick one up for $20 from an aquarium supply store. Don't go to a pet store they charge rediculous prices for them. As Rich said it is the minimal requirements for an AFT and will suffice as a temporary enclosure. The reason we suggest larger is as Rich said for a larger thermal gradient. Basically it's like a hot summer day. The sun shining in the window makes that area the hottest in the room. If you didn't want to get too hot you would move to the other side of the room. In a small room you couldn't get away from the heat. Just like a reptile in a small tank. Only it's worse for them because they regulate their body temps by choosing an appropriate temperature area. If they can't it can kill them.

5. DPBragg

DPBragg Member

i Can afford the gecko its only 30 dollars. thr cage is 35 at both of my petstores. i dotn have neoughb for that AND ALL its objects[hides,vines,exc] but i will go to my LOCAL pet store and ask if they have gotten any used tansk in.
    is theyre any small gecko or lizardsthat could fit in a cagre about that big?

6. kriminaal

That's a pretty decent price for a AFT. You should try to get a deal on the gecko and a tank. But don't worry the tank you are making will suffice for 6 months or so. Make sure to put the heat source at the very end of the enclosure.

7. DPBragg

DPBragg Member

ok thank you. ill tery to convince my mom to let me get one. but this being my last "Lizard"[czuase of vacation, and lizard-stting fees] do you think it would be a great "lizard" for me to have?

8. BlackJack

BlackJack Subscribed User Premium Member

Welcome to HC.
    Why don't you have a look around yard sales or garage sales or in the For Sale Ads in the papers: people are always getting rid of aquariums.
    Good luck with whatever you decide. (I'm not experienced with geckos, but there are plenty of people here who are.)

9. kriminaal

It's a good choice if you need to have someone look after it while you're vacationing. The enclosure is small enough to pick it up and move it to a friends. Also AFT's are very tame and easy to handle so even those skittish of reptiles will soon find them very intriguing.

10. Typhanie

Typhanie Elite Member

There's no reason why, if you're building a tank anyway, you might not just build a larger enclosure. That's sometimes better because you can design it to your specifications for much cheaper.

But on the whole, if you're going to put money into something, put it into the tank instead of the hides. Hides, food dishes and other accessories can all be made for really cheap out of household items, as long as you aren't going for looks. It's easier to get the right size set-up right away, and slowly replace homemade decorations with store bought ones as you go along. Reptiles are much more accepting of a furniture change than a move to a whole new home.

11. DPBragg

DPBragg Member

ok. ill think about it. i mean. im not sure if my flying geck ois gona live much onger [she hasnt been eating alot lately] =[

12. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

she probably hasn't been eating because the enclosure isn't right. I always say, get the enclosure first, then the animal. How long have you had her? I know it takes them about a week from the pet store before they eat, stress and all.

Be sure your temperatures are right. If its too hot or too cold, they also won't eat.

13. DPBragg

DPBragg Member

ive had her vor exactly a week. but she has eaten but only like two or three. her temps during the day GET UP to 87. but when i first turn it on. it takes the tank a while to heat up. she has a UTH and a light bulb. the enclosure is ok to a person on another forum[best person of knowledge on geckos o nthat forum] and my LOCAL pet sore owner. i good person. he has his own small business. but the tank is 12x12x18.

14. Typhanie

Typhanie Elite Member

I know you probably didn't mean it this way, and I'm probably just reading the wrong tone in this, but that sounded to me like you're going to wait and see if she dies before making any improvements. But she really won't have a chance to live if no adjustments are made to accomodate her.

It would probably be a good idea to find a herp vet (not a vet who will see a reptile, but a certified reptile vet) in your area and take her for a check-up. The vet will give you much more accurate information about your animal.

Even the best pet store owners don't always know everything about every animal they get in, and with the best intentions may have given you mis-information. Most pet stores are there to sell, and their employees will tell you just about anything you want to hear to get you to buy the animal and supplies from them.

The best thing that you can do is buy a book or two, find some reliable caresheets, and get some advise from a certified reptile vet. These will help you get on the right track for the care of your gecko.

A few suggestions I have so far - make sure that she's being kept out of high traffic areas. She's trying to adjust to new surroundings and she'll need quiet and stillness for awhile, with no one touching her and minimal disturbances. This will help her adjustment period go a little faster. Keep trying to feed her, but don't force her. Make the food and water available without becoming invasive. Once she knows you're not going to eat her, she'll calm down enough to eat her food.

15. DPBragg

DPBragg Member

well i kinda changed my mind. alll her crickets are gone.! so yah thats good news. but idk if im up to keeping her. so i might be selling her to an EMPLOyee at a really good reptile shop in my neighborhood. dont worry he has three flyings already. but i just dojtn think im ready for somethign that smells this bvad, s way to jump and hard to catch, and exc...
    but yah idk. im still bouncing back in forth.

16. Typhanie

Typhanie Elite Member

I'm glad to hear she is eating again!

If you don't think you want to take care of her, that's a good solution you've got there.

Reptiles are wonderful animals to keep, but they do take a lot of specified care and can be expensive. I always recommend doing some research on their care before buying one, so you don't get any nasty surprises. ;)

I hope everything works out for you and your gecko. If you do decide to keep her, don't hesitate to ask here for advice or information.

17. DPBragg

DPBragg Member

its not that i dont WANT to take care of her, its that i cant. i know its summer, but i have job, and its hard to keep up with something that needs all this care, i mean with my crested i mix the cgd, spray his cage and put it in there. but her, you have to clean out her cage evryday ro it will smell. so yah

18. ajvw

ajvw Subscribed User

19. DPBragg

DPBragg Member

i dont know, she is on tile. but im thinking of trading her in for 15, then buying another crested gecko.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.