This Disappears When Logged In

Cage Inhabitant

Discussion in 'Help *General*' started by ER98, Dec 12, 2017.

1. ER98

ER98 New Member

Hello,
    I have a 16"w-16"l-30"h screen tank. I bought this on black Friday, and was hoping to fill it with a chameleon. After doing my research I have been unable to find any chameleon that would be happy in this size tank. I tried looking into other arboreal species to inhabit it, but the main issue I see would be keeping up the proper humidity levels in the tank (due to the screening). So my question is what would be a good reptile for this enclosure. Its filled with climbing material, and its bioactive with plants. Thanks for any help!

2. Owen Baranoski

Owen Baranoski Well-Known Member

What about a pygmy chameleon?

3. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, it will be almost impossible to stabilise both temps and especially the humidity range in an all screen enclosure, therefore not at all suitable for a Pygmy chameleon which requires a relatively high humidity.

4. Owen Baranoski

Hmm, ok. Are you determined on a reptile, or would you be willing to branch out to some insect or an arachnid? It sounds like that's what the setup is geared for...

5. Darkbird

Darkbird Moderator Staff Member

Not trying to be mean, but I am going to be blunt. Those cages are garbage, at least where any reptile is concerned. They only exist because they are ridiculously cheap to manufacture, and the only way they work is if you have an entire room that is temperature and humidity controlled for the species your keeping. Your best bet would be to return the cage and then pick a species, do the research, and get whatever caging will serve best for that species.
    Now since you already have it and may not be able to return it, I would second the idea of an insect or arachnid. I can't think of any reptile species where humidity wouldn't be an issue. It's not just about them having water to drink, or even misting the cage, the air in a home is usually far drier than what is good for reptiles, especially in winter or homes with A.C. in the summer. Forcing the animal to breath this dry air will eventually cause issues. The other option would be to cover the entire cage with plastic or something, which kind of makes the screen useless, unless as something for the inhabitant to climb on.

6. Owen Baranoski

Your cage is a bit small on the wide/long scale, but it's tall enough for a gargoyle gecko. They require around 50% humidity, which isn't too much to ask. Also, their temperature needs to be around 78-82... check it out.