This Disappears When Logged In

Cactus in Iguana Tank

Discussion in 'Green Iguanas' started by Reed22, Jun 14, 2011.

1. Reed22

Reed22 Elite Member

can an iguana have a cactus in its enclosure? i know iguanas live in mexico and other regions with cactus' and they are often seen basking on cacti. so can i put one in?

2. DimitrisDaisy

DimitrisDaisy Elite Member

Is it a desert iguana or a green iguana?

What kind of cactus is it? Not all are good to use in a reptile enclosure (risk of injury or toxicity).

3. Reed22

Reed22 Elite Member

green iguana, im not sure what type yet. if a cactus is a good idea than what types are good? and if not a cactus than what is a good tree? i dont want to keep using cut down tree limbs, i want a natural growing plant or tree for him to bask in!

4. DimitrisDaisy

DimitrisDaisy Elite Member

Cacti won't do well in that humid environment anyways. And he'd likely just trample/eat any kind of plant you put in there anyway. You can get drift wood from pet stores, or outside. You can also build some nice shelves/ramps for his enclosure for him to climb on. I don't know much about igs personally. Somebody with more experience should be by to help you out :)

5. Reed22

Reed22 Elite Member

has anyone had experience with ficus trees? he is a tiny baby right now who cant eat more than a few mouth fulls of greens although i do give him a nice size bowl. so im not worried about him eating it or breaking it. does anyone know any trees good for an iguana?

6. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Ficus are fine as well as hibiscus, but they wont last. The iguana will either eat them or trample them down.