This Disappears When Logged In

Cactus in Enclosure?

Discussion in 'Desert' started by Frognut, Jun 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Frognut

Frognut Subscribed User Premium Member

As I make my Great Stuff Background for my new 55 gal Gecko tank. I was thinking of adding a cup like area to hold a plant or two for looks.

I noticed a really cool looking cactus at the store the other day, and was wondering if it would be a good idea or not? However it does have the pointy things (like my technical term?). They are not as long and sharp as some cactus I have seen but they are there.

I could just put Pothos in there, I just wanted something different. They wouldn't be placed in a direct path area, but I don't think I could put it completely out of the way where they would NEVER come in contact with it.

Thanks!

2. LovetheBaruu

LovetheBaruu Subscribed User Premium Member

Is it going to get enough light? (Lets just ignore the "pointy things for a minute;)). I found a couple of decent cacti at the dollar store, you can have them since "we" made our own for the diorama. Cacti need lots of light...

3. shwknight

shwknight Elite Member

OK, now back to "the pointy things". I wouldn't chance it, what if either of your girls got poked and they jerked away and snapped off the tip inside of them?? It could potentially fester and whatnot. So that being said I wouldn't chance it (on a side note, what if when your cleaning the enclosure YOU get poked and break the tip off in YOUR hand/arm??:eek:;))

4. Frognut

There would have been plenty of light. But Steve is right, and deep down I knew that, I just really like those plants and they would make my tank look pretty.

I'm not too worried about me - goodness knows I have more scrapes, scratches, bumps and bruises that I don't ever remember getting. So a few more wouldn't matter. (I'm not the most graceful or coordinated person out there :eek:)

Maybe I'll just get one and put on top of the tank lid....:)

5. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

If you put it on top of the tank lid, you, not being the most coordinated person in the world... (as we all know, only too well) will probably knock it off, then it will fall down and the "pointy things" will stick in your footsies!! :p:D

6. Frognut

:eek::D So true! I'll just get a pair of steel toed boots ;)

Disasters happen to me all the time, so I'm sort of used to it. I could think of a hundred scenarios that could happen to me with a prickly plant - and it would be the 101st scenario that would do me in.

I'm going to live dangerously and buy that darn plant!:eek:;)

7. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

I've tried Cactus, yes the light thing will be an issue. However the main thing is proper soil with proper drainage. I suggest keeping it in a pot.

8. Beardie

Beardie Elite Member

I killed a cactus once, not on purpose! I guess I underwatered it. :eek: That proved to me that I am the best gardener in the world!

*Says in braggy tone* Yup guys, I killed a cactus! I'm such a pro.;)

9. shwknight

shwknight Elite Member

LOL you think thats bad Justin, I can kill an air plant :p

10. Beardie

Beardie Elite Member

:eek: Join the club! We can discuss advanced gardening techniques! :p;)

11. LovetheBaruu

My mom has got all ya all beat! She can "kill" artificial plants! Hey Steph, I tried my first cacti- Christmas cactus- its doing fantastic and no needles!!

12. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

Succulents. Halfway between a cactus and a regular plant. Jade plant comes to mind.

13. shwknight

shwknight Elite Member

WAY back when I was in high school I had a horticulture class and the teacher had us grow a jade plant from seed/cutting (I don't remember exactly which) and I was able to get it to grow enough for the grade LOL When I took it home it started to die even tho I did all the same things as I did in school. So I gave it to my grandma and she got it to go from about 2 inches to filling a 10 inch planter LOL

14. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

I have seen Jade trees 100+ years old. A doctor of mine has one that sets on the floor and is 6 feet high with a 6 inch trunk. Its AMAZING.

15. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

It was probably grown from a cutting.
    Growing succulents from seed is more of an exercise in patience than socializing an iguana!

Of course you COULD always get the cactus and meticulously dab a teardrop of silicone on the end of each of the little pointy things!:p

16. LovetheBaruu

I could do that for you Steph!! Sounds like fun:p

17. Beardie

Beardie Elite Member

Ooo, Merlin, that does sound like fun! :D ;)

18. Kendalle

Kendalle Elite Member

I once had a venus fly trap run away. I went to water it it was gone!!! no one saw where he went either. I would like to say that someone played a trick on me but i really think it disliked me that much! who knew plants are far harder than iguanas to keep alive?! or in the house. Next plant I get needs a cage!

19. titus

titus Elite Member Premium Member

I keep a number of cacti and find them to be very easy to keep. I water once a month from March to Oct and keep them in good light. As far as cacti in cages I would only use them in cages for north american herps that live where cacti grow, they normally have the thick skin and other tools to deal with the needles. I have plans to set up a North American Dessert cage for my Hognoseds as soon as their a bit bigger. Using one or two cacti and some grasses.

20. Frognut

Thanks, Merlin - Great Idea! I'll send it to Kelly who will have done in 3 minutes. Then she'll probably re-pot it in a color coordinated planter, have a timer installed so I don't forget to water it, um... Kelly what am I missing?????:p

I on the other hand would never get it done, ADD doesn't go real well for detailed annoying problems like that. Besides, I'd still find a way of hurting myself -- so I'll either not get it (for outside the cage), or get it an take my chances. Although maybe I will look into the succulents...

I've killed a cactus myself before too. So as an act of mercy, maybe I should leave it alone.

I haven't even finished the second background piece for my enclosure - by the time I get finished Gretchen and Hannah will be in college and not want to share rooms anymore!:rolleyes:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.