This Disappears When Logged In

C&c Cage?

Discussion in 'Uromastyx' started by hadleyw, Aug 18, 2016.

1. hadleyw

hadleyw New Member

Hello!

I am looking to move my Mali Uromastyx to a larger tank. I was looking at 120 gallon tanks.

I was wondering if instead of that I could convert one of my C&C cages into a Uro enclosure. I couldn’t attach an image so you would have to look it up.

It is 6x3. It has coroplast on the bottom and grid walls. It would be off of the ground. The cage does not have a top. I could make one and be able to clamp it shut or hand the lights on a stand. Would it be okay to have completely open sides as long as he has the right lighting?

I may be able to put tiles on the bottom. The coroplast probably isn’t the best unless I can seal the edges. It doesn’t have any holes though. Would it be okay to have the sand directly on that or should I tile it? I could also replace the coroplast with a wood base.

At this point the cage would probably be a big hassle but I just wanted to ask in case.

Thank you!

2. Garters45

Garters45 Well-Known Member

Completely open sides? I lost you there. Do you mean wire sides? If so, that's fine, as long as the lighting and temp in the room is correct, and he is not outside. A 6 by 3 should be fine size wise. Tile isn't necessary, but I would recommend it. The woodbase would also be desirable. Definitely need a secure top, preferably latching. Good luck! Sounds like a fun DIY project.

3. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

No. Wire sides are not "fine". They will make it impossible to control temps and humidity. Guinea pig cages are for guinea pigs not reptiles.

Qwerty3159 likes this.
  4. Garters45

Garters45 Well-Known Member

I stand corrected. I have kept other reptiles in wire cages, but don't own a uro. I didn't even think about humidity, but it is actually not that hard to keep a wire-sided cage the right temp if you use heating lamps/pads. I currently have a tortoise in a wire pen outside, and he is doing better then I ever expected. I have heard uros need specific humidity though, so perhaps it would be better to replace them with glass. Sorry if I gave you the wrong info. I've kept reptiles since I was a kid, and I'm still learning new things everyday. :)