This Disappears When Logged In

Burrowing

Discussion in 'African Fat-tailed Geckos' started by theHIguy, Jan 31, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. theHIguy

theHIguy Active Member

My AFT's love to burrow in there hot hide and right outside. I have about one inch of substrate, should I add three more inches so they can burrow? also I have the smallest under tank heater its about 5x7 inches should I mount it on the side? they have'nt burrowed on the heater yet but im scared they might get burnt. they are also a male and female I don't want excessive breeding but one like to have one clutch how could I do this?

thank you
    Dustin

2. sallyconyers

sallyconyers New Member

What kind of heater do you use?? If its a heat mat then you can put the mat under the viv/tank so they can't bury onto the heat source so no risk of burns. Heat mats work just as well that way but you need to allow an air gap between the mat and the tank.
    Hope that helps

3. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

That makes no sense. If the heat mat is at that bottom of the tank, they CAN get burnt.

I would take a piece of floor tile, put that down, then the substrate on top. The floor tile will disperse the heat and they won't get burnt.

4. theHIguy

theHIguy Active Member

Thanks you guys are O so helpful I'm going to find me some tile so they don't get burnt. Their eating very good now they both look very healthy and are extremely active every time I turn the lights off.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.