This Disappears When Logged In

burrowing?

Discussion in 'Water Dragons' started by TheGreenMan, Mar 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheGreenMan

TheGreenMan Elite Member

in my cwds enclosure i made a cave and didnt really expect my dragon to use it i just put it there incase. it turns out that my dragon likes it. he has dug down on one side and thats were he sleeps. does any one else have a dragon that prefers caves to branches? is there a reason for this? heres a pic. his bed spot is on the right side you can see were it goes down.

Attached Files:

2. TheGreenMan

TheGreenMan Elite Member

i've been thinking about it and have thought of some possibilities. #1 could it be that there is to much uv exposure therefor he/she goes in there for cover and then falls asleep in there? The dragon only stays awake from 7 or 8 in the morning and then goes in the cave around 2 or 3 everyday. the early bed time is what lead me to that. #2 the dragon is a female and is making a nest. i dont know much about the dragons behaviors because it is my first. thats all i have for now. does any one think im on the right track? heres a pic of my enclosure both lights put out uv. the one on the high end is a 160 mvb. and the other is one of those energy saver coil bulbs its a 20 that is equivalent to 75

Attached Files:

3. Lyn

Lyn Elite Member

Do your lights stay on 24 hrs a day??? because if they do that is exactly why he is hiding....They need a day and night differential to be healthy....get a CHE for night heat if you are concerned abou temps....he needs darkness for night night....good luck!

4. TheGreenMan

TheGreenMan Elite Member

no its not that i have the lights on a timer and they used to be on from 8 to 8 but now since hes out so early they turn off at 6

5. Lyn

Lyn Elite Member

could be that he just feels more secure in the log.....they like thick foliage to hide in.....he could be stressing from seeing activity outside the tank

6. TheGreenMan

TheGreenMan Elite Member

im not sure thats it either. because hes/shes out in the morning before i go to work then when i get home in the after noon hes in the log. in between this time no one goes in that room. but maybe hes looking out the window. i have the shades open because he likes to look out. maybe thats whats causing the stress. i switched out the 20 watt uv bulb with a regular bulb and ill close the blinds and see what happens.

7. venus

venus Founding Member

If you have the tank next to the window, make sure no direct sunlight is hitting the glass, it can act as a magnifying glass and cook your WD.

8. TheGreenMan

TheGreenMan Elite Member

no there is no direct sunlight the sun is on the other side of the house

9. venus

venus Founding Member

Good deal, I was just checking ;)

10. TheGreenMan

TheGreenMan Elite Member

i think it just my be that he/she just likes the security of the log.

11. mshrmheadcharge

mshrmheadcharge Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

My little monsters liked to hide when they were babies, they are just timid little beings. once he/she gets older you will see more of him Im sure

12. TheGreenMan

TheGreenMan Elite Member

its good to know its normal. i cant wait till he/she gets big. hes getting big quickly but im still not sure on sex. he/she is 14 or 15 inches total now should i be able to tell? if so i think i've got a female. if not when should i be able to tell?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.