This Disappears When Logged In

Burmese pythons!

Discussion in 'Burmese Pythons' started by thinkbig317, Aug 15, 2013.

1. thinkbig317

thinkbig317 Elite Member

Anybody see that animal planet special on Burmese Pythons last night about how they are invading FL? Curious on people thoughts??

2. TJOHNSON722

TJOHNSON722 Elite Member

Its been going on for years. In January the government had a roundup. Basically set hundreds of people loose on the everglades.

3. thinkbig317

thinkbig317 Elite Member

I've been reading about it for a while now but didnt know the extent of the problem. What is the main cause? Ignorant people setting them loose in the wild or is there another major contributing factor??

4. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

It is believed that some of them may be from released pets. However in the big hurricane there were holding areas for wholesale importers that were damaged allowing animals to escape.

5. thinkbig317

thinkbig317 Elite Member

Oh wow! Terrible. Are people still allowed to breed burmese pythons? I dont know much about what the Lacey Act entails. I'll have to read up on it......

6. Darkbird

Darkbird Moderator Staff Member

The Lacey act just prohibits people from moving them across state lines. You can still breed and sell them within your own state, but it seems that most breeders have stopped breeding them to avoid being overrun with babies they can't sell locally or ship. Sad really, they're still my favorite snake.

7. thinkbig317

thinkbig317 Elite Member

Oh ok. Thanks Darkbird. It is very sad. Such a magnificiant animal those burmese are!

8. medusa1974

medusa1974 Well-Known Member

They are making way bigger deal out of the epidemic in Florida. Most of the burmese that are present in Florida are from breeding facilities. They are no more of a problem than the other dangerous animals that are native to the area. The "roundups" the state pays for are a waste of money, hardly ever do they catch any significant amounts if any burmese. And any of the burmese pythons that are caught are not euthanized, they are taken to professional keepers. OHHHH wait that's how the EPIDEMIC started, responsible care takers/breeders that had a horrific act of god release there animals into the wild. So what are they actually accomplishing.

9. diehardislanders

diehardislanders Elite Member

That is not entirely true. Many many of these pythons are executed.