This Disappears When Logged In

Buried Hide Box?

Discussion in 'Snakes - General' started by Sinlightened, Apr 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sinlightened

Sinlightened Elite Member

So, I'm thinking of burying a hide box like this one
    [​IMG]
    at one end of my BPs new enclosure. it should be fairly easy to clean as long as the opening was big enough to get my hand in and wipe down/disinfect. unless you guys know of some other reason it's a pain to do/maintain. just a quick idea I had inspired by a glance at RunMickeyRun's set up on another thread.

2. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

if you are burying it, I'm assuming you're using a substrate of some type - the only drawbacks I can think of would be cleaning/disinfecting.

Just out of curiosity, why bury it?

3. Sinlightened

mainly esthetics =) ... just have one side a little higher in elevation and bury it in the substrate leaving just the opening, creating a burrow type hide. could use it as a moist hide. The surrounding substrate might help insulate it, keeping it a tad bit warmer and house a higher humidity. just a thought, not sure if it would work or not... but sounds good in theory =)

4. Sinlightened

im sure i could find something a little better shaped to bury as well, that pic was just a quick pick for an example

5. Kendalle

Kendalle Elite Member

If you get that and burry it the top has air holes, so if you have a small enough substrate it will go in those holes some more than others

6. Sinlightened

yeah, not really worried about that, I'd patch any holes, but like I said, I will probably use something else to make the hide. I just don't really have the time or means to make any sort of faux rock formation like the awesome ones I see on here. Maybe once I get some tools and what not lol. I've seen some awesome stuff people have made on here and I wish I had the means to do so. I'm just trying to think of other ideas.

7. David McConley

David McConley Elite Member

I actually use those types of hides among others and they work fine(for me). They come in different sizes and I just take them out and soak them in hot water with a little bleach in it and rinse thoroughly. Plastic coffee containers also work well and can also be useful as moist hides as long as there is an entry/exit for the snake. I know that last goes without saying but I like to cover all the bases if possible.

8. Aalamil

Aalamil Elite Member

HAHA, those are the birthing nests I use for my mice. That's great!

9. David McConley

David McConley Elite Member

Yeah, I get them from PetSmart in the rodent section. I just got the xl sized one for the blood python I rescued a few weeks back.

10. Kendalle

Kendalle Elite Member

petco sells some pretty neat large bird nesting boxes that could work

11. Sinlightened

yeah i remember seeing them all the time when I'm in pet stores... and it was the first thing that popped into my head

12. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

you could do some nifty stuff with great stuff and a kitchen knife pretty cheap.

13. Moshpitrockchick

Moshpitrockchick Subscribed User Premium Member

I had buried boxes for my blue tongued skinks, I bought a couple of 4 quart tupperware dishes and cut a hole in the top then I buried them and put a big flat rock on the top and stuck them under their basking lights. They loved them.

14. I think that would work fine.
    I believe there are other hide away boxes
    that might look like a rock you can bury.
    I saw a wooden box a snake could hide in
    and a wooden type box with out a bottom
    so you could lift it up and clean what ever you needed to.
    I wouldn't bury this hide away box completely.
    I would use aspen bedding (something soft they can bury into)
    and create a sort of tunnel down to the opening of the box
    so the snake has easy access to the box in and out.
    It sounds like a good idea to have for you're snake.
    I wanted to do that as well.
    It's like a little cave underground they can hide in.

15. shwknight

shwknight Elite Member

You could also just use a kitty litter box which is probably cheaper and if it's going to be buried ;)

16. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

You can use just about anything you want to as a hide. As long as it is of proper size the snake doesn't care what it looks like!
    Most of my smaller snakes have the bottom third of a plastic Folgers coffee can!

17. Sinlightened

yeah I was looking around the house for something last night but I couldn't find much that would fit him well... so the hunt continues.

18. agama3000

agama3000 Elite Member

I had one of those little boxes for my hamster

19. shwknight

shwknight Elite Member

Not sure how big you need but this is 16x12x4 and cost me less than $5 at a local pet store

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.