This Disappears When Logged In

Bubble Wrap and Humidity

Discussion in 'Humidity' started by norwegn113, Jan 6, 2013.

1. norwegn113

norwegn113 Well-Known Member

I have been in the process of building custom cages for my snakes but for now I have all of them in glass tanks with screen tops. I have been fighting keeping in heat and humidity seeing how I live in an old dry drafty house. I have tried the usual tricks of damp towels over the screen, I have made custom masonite covers to put over the screen, plexiglass and so far I have not had satisfactory results with any of those options. I was at the local hardware store the other day and seen a product that was foil covered bubble wrap that claimed to stop 97% of radiant heat loss. I bought a roll and decided to try covering the screen top with that and BINGO! My temps went up due to no lack of radiant heat loss and humidity also went up because the foil does not absorb moisture. My temps have been running about 86 deg. ambient / hot side and humidity is consistently about 60%. I am very happy with the way this product has worked for me!!!!

2. JoeyG

JoeyG Subscribed User Premium Member

Never hear of foil covered bubble wrap. Can you post more info about the product and pictures if possible. That sounds like a great find! I'll use anything that can help my heaters to run less and save power :)

3. jdandlucy

jdandlucy Elite Member

one product i know of is called reflectex sorry about the spelling. another product that might work is at homedepot called rmax. it is 1/2" foam board with a foil radiant/moisture barrier. at $10 for a 4x8 sheet it is cheaper than any foil faced bubble wrap

4. norwegn113

The product is called Reflectix Insulation. You can buy it at any home depot store . It comes in a roll thats16"wide x 25' long. Home Depot Scu# 884250. It costs $15.89 a roll , so it's not too expensive plus you can cut it with just a pair of scissors. The foam board would also work, you would just need to cut it with a razor knife. With either product be mindful of the high temps of the lights or heaters because both products would melt under prolonged contact with those high of temps. Hope this helps!

5. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

Why not just a piece of plexi-glass?
    Probably looks much nicer.

6. norwegn113

I have plexiglass on one of my cages now and although it does an ok job , it doesn't have a radiant heat barrier like this stuff does. Plexiglass definitely looks better for sure but is also much expensive. The wrap doesn't look that bad and for me it's the perfect option, but I will admit it's not the only option. I guess it's up to the individual.

7. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

That is true, the heat wrap will definitely work much better for keeping heat in.