This Disappears When Logged In

bubbas pics

Discussion in 'Chameleons' started by bubbas mum, Oct 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Og_

Og_ Elite Member

Is this a species native to Cyprus? Did you catch her in the wild or buy from a pet store?
    One note, All reptiles as well as fish and birds, Lay eggs with or without a male being around. The male is required to fertilize the eggs. The eggs will be laid whether they are fertile or not.

2. Moshpitrockchick

Moshpitrockchick Subscribed User Premium Member

Not all female reptiles lay infertile eggs. Only some. Some don't even lay eggs.

3. Spikes the name

Spikes the name Elite Member

I agree.
    My Ig has never laid an egg and none of my female birds have when they were alone.

4. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Iguanas are known to lay infertile eggs. Mine has done it several times. However not all of them do. Some absorb the eggs back into their systems.

5. bubbas mum

bubbas mum Member

We got her from the pet shop. But they are here in plenty in the wild, more so up in the mountains and in the countryside.

We were told she was pregnant for 4 months so hopefully her eggs will produce babies :)

6. travisgecko...

travisgecko... Elite Member

is he eating a type of walking stick lol name fits him perfectly for some reason

7. Og_

Og_ Elite Member

OK, From my understanding, all female Reptiles lay eggs. All female birds lay eggs, And all female fish lay eggs. The only thing that matters is whether there is a male to fertilize those eggs. Unfertilized eggs will still be laid whether or not they are "Viable"!

Just because a reptile lays eggs, doesn't mean it was "pregnant".

8. Moshpitrockchick

Ahh see and that is where you are wrong og, there are some live bearing fish and lizards and some who do not lay eggs without prior fertilization from a male.

Blue tongued skinks are one case in point, they bear live young.
    Lacerta vivipara got their scientific name from their ability to bear live young as well.
    Also there are lizards who wont lay eggs unless they have bred, like my leopard geckos. No eggs unless previously bred.

9. Og_

Og_ Elite Member

OK, My bad.

10. Moshpitrockchick

No problem, consider yourself educated. It is mainly lizards from cooler climates where eggs would not be able to incubate properly.

11. Og_

Og_ Elite Member

I knew Iguanas laid infertile eggs as well as chickens and salmon. I wrongly assumed it was the same for the rest.

12. prismwolf

prismwolf Well Established Member

Some female lizards don't need a male at all to procreate. They perform asexual behavior - such as the whiptail lizards. It's called parthenogenesis if anyone wants to do a little reading...:) However...as far as I know chams do not fall into this category.

13. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

hehe, my sunshine platy fish lay live babies. its the CUTEST thing... until the males start eating them.

14. BlackJack

BlackJack Subscribed User Premium Member

That's wonderful. Chams are such amazing animals, it would be a shame to have them eaten by cats if it could be avoided.
    Good for you and Bubba on educating the public!! :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.