This Disappears When Logged In

Breeding

Discussion in 'Green Iguanas' started by G8ERMAN, Mar 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. G8ERMAN

G8ERMAN Elite Member

:confused: What's the right age to breed an iguana? :confused:

2. wildheart

wildheart Elite Member

Well, I discovered that there is no right age. It is more the size and health that determines when they can start breeding. If you are referring to a male then he will let you know when the time is right.;)

3. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

Personally, the answer is never. There are far too many igs in rescues as it is.

4. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I agree. That is one of those "why would you want to?" questions.
    This country is loaded with homeless iguanas that have been surrendered to shelters.
    Also iguana mating can be quite violent and more than once has ended up in serious injury or fatality!

5. SurvivorSteph

SurvivorSteph Subscribed User Premium Member

I'm in agreement, here... no breeding. There are just too many rescues available.

6. jfogle78

jfogle78 Elite Member

Yep I agree too, I just destroyed 33 eggs a couple weeks ago. Because not enough good homes around to put them in.

7. G8ERMAN

G8ERMAN Elite Member

:eek:Ahhh I didn't know that they get that ruff.:eek:

One of my friends has a female about 4" bigger than my male.
    We were just curious. I wasn't planing on busting the igg population none. :p There's a few people I know that want to buy Ziggy from me, so I was just going to try to raise maybe 3 tops.

8. wildheart

wildheart Elite Member

What if you advise the people who want to buy from you to try rescues first?;)

9. dannigd

dannigd Elite Member

I would have to agree. I think rescue is the best way to go!

10. G8ERMAN

G8ERMAN Elite Member

Where would they have to look? Is there a internet site or something?

11. shwknight

shwknight Elite Member

Just google reptile rescues (I just did ;)) It pulls up a bunch of stuff on them

12. missabrat

missabrat Elite Member

that's for sure, at the rescue we volunteer at we have 6 igs all different ages and stages looking for forever homes, I myself would adopt the gorgeous male we have, but I already have a 17yr old human that PMS's like a tyrant, couldn't deal with a four legged one too LOL. Definitely look at rescues first, we see too many that are malnourished, burned etc. because people buy before researching

13. schlegelbagel

Our local rescue has about 8. I'll ship you 3. ;)

14. Kendalle

Kendalle Elite Member

Petfinder.com

you can search for all sorts of kind of animals in shelters. It will list the closest to you first

15. LovetheBaruu

LovetheBaruu Subscribed User Premium Member

Print the care sheets and get them the book that Wildheart says is so good. Make each potential owner read all of the info. Help them with enclosure set up. Inspect and grade housing and knowledge. If they pass-find them a suitable pet. (Just kidding... sorta).;)

16. G8ERMAN

G8ERMAN Elite Member

Thank you all

17. schlegelbagel

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.