This Disappears When Logged In

Breeding Superworms

Discussion in 'Feeders' started by mld, Jan 27, 2012.

1. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

So today I was supposed to get 1000 superworms, but with the snowstorm it was delayed until tomorrow!
    I have everything set up and ready for them, very excited! :D

Here are my boxes for forcing them into pupating;

P1260012.jpg getting ready to make holes for ventilation, thanks to Knox for the great idea with the soldering iron for making holes! Glad that my family is very handy and have lots of tools and gadgets:)

P1260014.jpg
    Now all I need are those superworms!

2. Wyldrose

Wyldrose Elite Member

Nice idea!! I used dixie cups in a rubber maid shoe box. Some chewed out... lol I will have to force pupate some more soon so I will go that route!
    I have a few tiny baby supers now, definalty worth the long wait for them to pupate!

3. mld

I've heard about them being able to chew through paper cups, so I decided to use the fish tackle boxes from Walmart! They also had some in the craft section of Walmart, but were more expensive. And why does girly stuff always cost more?

At the Petstore superworms are .30cents each, with this guy I'm getting 1000 for $35.00 instead of $300. from PU.

4. Rakoladycz

Rakoladycz Elite Member

The only thing I buy from petstores anymore is rats for my ball that refuses to eat F/T. Everything else I order off the web. Such better deals. I too am using the fishing tackle trays. I dont have alot going on though. My rudis arent crazy about them and I dont want a million if they never really start eating them, one or two hear and there. I am trying them on peat moss as well rather than the bran.

5. mld

What type of peat moss are you using? The one that looks like soil or the one that looks like moss? Interesting, I've never heard of that.

6. mld

OK, so they arrived! :D

P1280012.jpg I know the box said live crickets but I only found one cricket that managed to hitch a ride. Bonus for my Tarantula!

P1280013.jpg So I have my superworm bins, placed a layer of natural bran.

P1280015.jpg I placed the superworms in the bin then added carrot sliced for their water source.

P1280017.jpg Then I placed some of the superworms in their individual little isolation rooms to force them to pupate.

P1280016.jpg This little guy somehow managed to get loose in Hannibal's enclosure, when I found him he was in the curled position indicating that he was ready to pupate, so I placed him in a dark place and within a few days he pupated. So this little guy will be the first to turn into a beetle. He'll be lonely in his own bin until the others turn into beetles.

7. AjaMichelle

AjaMichelle Elite Member

Awesome!!! I'm working on breeding superworms too. So far I've had 6 turn into the alien pupates. It only took about a week. I thought it would take longer. And only 1 out of the 10 I isolated died.

I should have gotten wheat bran. I'm sort of kicking myself right now. I just bought a bunch of oatmeal. I've been using "baby" carrots for moisture. I also tried using water crystals. The carrots have worked the best so far. The crystals were a mess and got moldy.

Hey do you know whether or not the superworms will die eventually if they can't pupate?

8. Wyldrose

Wyldrose Elite Member

Looks good! I have had a few die when I tried to force pupate. I found a beetle in the tokay's tank the other day, so I popped him in with the others :)
    I will pupate some more I think I only have 10 or so live beeltes, I lost 5-6 in their first molt. Maybe it was too dry? I have water crystals on a lid and some carrots too.

9. mld

I guess I'll see if any die, I separated just 48 so I'll keep you posted on what happens! I still have 952 left if this doesn't work out:D

10. mld

Update on the superworms;
    I had two die, they looked to be the smallest!

The pupae turned into a beetle yesterday
    P2160001.jpg

Most of the superworms have curled, so looks like they are getting ready.
    P2160003.jpg

I placed the lone beetle in its own temporary home
    P2170004.jpg

11. Evozakira

Evozakira Elite Member

Looks like its going ok. Ill keep a eye on this for future projects :)

12. Evozakira

Evozakira Elite Member

I cant find this 100% natural bran. What else can i use

13. Wyldrose

Wyldrose Elite Member

Oatmeal works too, put it in the blender to make it nice and fine so you can find the babies.

14. Evozakira

Evozakira Elite Member

I have nothing to blend my oats with, we moved a lot of the stuff we dont use from the house because we have it up for sale : /

15. Tegu

Tegu Elite Member

I am trying superworms again now! I had tried them before but failed. Right now I have almost 70 isolated. Only one has does so far.

16. mld

You can buy 100% natural wheat bran at the bulk barn! or in the grocery store in the section with cereals like cream of wheat.

I won't use oatmeal because it tend to molds easily.

17. Evozakira

Evozakira Elite Member

Ive been to walmart/target and the grocery store and they dont have it. Only didnt show any stores here that carry what you have

18. mld

19. Evozakira

Evozakira Elite Member

Ill check again but im pretty sure nowhere around here carries Blue menu anything but ill check the other one

20. Wyldrose

Wyldrose Elite Member

Do you have a loblaws? I think that is the American version of our Canadian Superstore. I use the 2nd one Michelle linked :)