This Disappears When Logged In

Breeding Superworms In Utah--any Success??

Discussion in 'Water Dragons' started by donjuanelguapo, Dec 13, 2015.

1. I live in Utah and I have tried several different methods of breeding superworms with no success. I've tried methods found here:

And here:

The first method is the screen method where the small worms drop in to another tray. The second is without the screen. I always get the worms to the beetle stage but I never seem to get any worms from them. As is instructed in the second video, I leave the veggies in the tray with the beetles. I've left them there for weeks just to see if it produces. At times, I have 15-20 beetles in that tray. I even have noticed what looks like eggs on the potatoes but no worms, ever!

A few years ago I tried to raise black soldier flies in to phoenix worms but after a bit of research I found that the elevation in Utah is too high for them to mate. In that experiment I was able to get the worms to a fly stage but, again, no babies. So, I'm wondering if it is similar with superworms?? Could it be the elevation? I'm wondering if anyone from Utah has had any success raising them and, if so, how?

Thanks,
    John

2. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

I'm not in Utah but when I raised them it worked to put pieces of burlap in with the beetles. They need a place to place their eggs in.