This Disappears When Logged In

Breeding Question

Discussion in 'Rhacodactylus' started by angelann1994, Dec 3, 2015.

1. angelann1994

angelann1994 Member

I have done lots of research and have decided to pair my male and female crested geckos. One question I didn't consider before putting them together is how long they should be left together, which I couldn't find anything about when I searched. I put them together last night and I was going to separate after they mated, but I don't think they did. They did the mating chirp but that's all I witnessed. I want to separate them because they both have their tails and I don't want them to fight and drop their tails. It won't be a problem if they do drop their tails, I will still love them the same and want to keep them but I just love them with their tails. I stayed up pretty late until about 2 or 3 A.M. just to listen and make sure there wasn't any fighting and they never did. All I heard was their little mating chirps. So, how long should I wait until I separate them to be sure that they have mated?

2. Longtail

Longtail New Member

If i were you, i would probably leave them together for a while. Have they been living in the same cage since you got them? Because if they were in seperate cages you might need to take one and clean it reeeeeally good, that way the lizards dont think to be territorial, as they wouldnt recognise the cages smell. or just buy a new tank. Then they will probably breed. The best way to tell if the female laid her eggs is to either look for an extreme decrease in abdomen size. or just wait to see babys running around....;)

3. angelann1994

angelann1994 Member

They have always been separate until now. I never thought of that, I just read that you're supposed to put the male in the female's enclosure. I sent my male's enclosure to be remodeled (putting a door on it). I'm supposed to be getting it back this week so when I do i'll clean it really well & put them in it together :) & his cage is a lot larger so it will give them plenty of space!

I just don't know when I'm supposed to separate them until the next breeding season. It's been about a week & they never fight & have not dropped their tails, so i'm less worried about that now. I just need to know how long the breeding season is so that I can separate them at the right time.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 10, 2015
  4. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, if conditions are supportive there is no breeding season in captivity, they can breed year round (not to suggest its a good idea to repeatedly have them mating).

5. arojas7112

arojas7112 Established Member

Yes they can breed year round, as he stated it's not a good idea to have them mate repeatedly. Usually when it gets colder, that's when I separate them for a few months. Make sure they have a healthy weight and enough calcium (by checking their calcium sacks). Once your temperatures start to increase (spring) they will more than likely be ready to breed again. I've read some people leave them for a few weeks, some till they collect their first clutch of eggs.

6. Longtail

Longtail New Member

g]ad i could help

7. angelann1994

angelann1994 Member

I checked their weight but not the calcium sacks because my female is nippy & has a bad attitude. However, I do keep a bottle cap of calcium in the enclosure at all time that they help themselves to.

8. arojas7112

arojas7112 Established Member

If you feed them the cgd either by repashy or pangea then you should be fine. It's a good idea to keep the calcium in the bottle caps. I do that with my leopard geckos and should start with these guys. Are they still together with their tails?