This Disappears When Logged In

Breeding Question

Discussion in 'Reticulated Pythons' started by josh112990, Mar 4, 2010.

1. josh112990

josh112990 Well-Known Member

I was recently told by a friend that retics and burms can mate. I was wondering if this is true or false. I have a 10 foot female and he has around a 12 foot male. I know my girl has to be alot bigger before even thinking about breeding but I was just wondering if it is possible or I am just waisting my time or even worse, potentially hurting my female or his male. Any help is greatly appreciated and just want to say thanks in advance for any suggestions.

2. josh112990

Forgot to add that my female is the retic and his male is the burm. sorry lol

3. kenman1963

kenman1963 Moderator

I have heard the same thing, though I would question why you would want to. I would think there would possibly genetic issues with cross breeding species. Google it and I am sure you could find more info.

4. Sunobius

Sunobius Well-Known Member

Borneo Bateaters?

5. herps4life

herps4life Elite Member

high end herps has done it successfully, you can probably find some info there. highendherps.com

6. boaterr

boaterr Well-Known Member

Yes it is possible but only unethical breeders engage in such behavior. The pairing very rarely results in viable offspring, the baby snakes are almost always killed during the incubation process or they die shortly after hatching from their eggs. Their is also a chance that the two pythons will fight each other because they do not recognize each other as a potential mate.

Please leave your snakes alone and do not breed them period! There are enough giant snakes on the market that cannot find suitable homes so adding more to this bunch does nothing but add further damage to the already troubled large snake keeping hobby.

7. josh112990

i didn't say i was going to do it just asked if it could be done and if i were to do it the viable offspring being if it does happen there are very few would only be for me and the owner of the burm i would not have to find them a home and i don't plan on getting rid of mine i have the space nd time and also the means of feeding these large bids but if i do decide to do it i have been doing research and it is becoming easier to obtain info on this hybrid species. once again i am not panning on doing this but if i were to do it i wold not be doing anything to the large boid keeping community because i would be keeping the snakes not trying to find homes for them

8. MoogleBass

MoogleBass Kittes are so nice! Premium Member

Yes it can be done, and has been done alot. They are called bateaters. There are several other crosses out there too, just have to look.

Ball x blood
    burm x ball
    There are more I just am having a brain fart lol

9. herps4life

herps4life Elite Member

ya there are lots more,retic x af rock aka cateater i think, chondro x carpet , ball x woma , ball x carpet,carpet x scrub and if you wanted to get into colubrids the list goes on and on

10. josh112990

i just think that is so cool that they are able to do that i am sure there are alot of negatives to doing it but the pics i seen of alot of the hybrid species are beautiful especially the borneo bateaters

11. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

There is a serious flaw in your arguement. Are you trying to tell us that you and the other owner are capable of correctly housing and feeding the possibly 60-70 young through out the 20-30 years of their life?

12. josh112990

with these hybrids it is very rare to get more than 10 viable young and if there are more than that i am in contact with many people who want and are able to take care of these baby large boids but if it is ten or less they will all be staying between myself and the owner of the burm and yes we are able to take on that many of these guys with no problem

13. boaterr

I am guessing you have not been keeping retics that long. After reviewing your previous threads it is apparent that you are a new snake owner, and by the looks of it I would say your under 20 years old. I have a lot of giants and have been keeping them for over 15 years, so please do not take any advice I give you lightly. People have no business trying to breed hybrid snakes, it is dangerous for the snakes involved and those infertile clutches could have been healthy clutches of retics and burms if the owner would not have tried to cross breed. Enjoy your retic and try to take care of it the best you can, it would really be shame if you ended up hurting your retic or killing it, which is a very real risk you run when trying to produce hybrids.

14. boaterr

High End Herps has a very dark past that would make me question anything they claim to have produced. Stealing Photos, getting busted by the cops for smuggling alligators, passing off incubation temp error animals as some kind of special morph, and the list goes on. Faunaclassifieds has a rather extensive collection of information regarding that company.

15. herps4life

herps4life Elite Member

wow did not know that, thanks and i def would not have even mentioned it if i knew.

16. josh112990

yes i am under 20 but i have been keeping snakes since i was 9 years old and i started with a pair of adult bps and then i got a burm that didnt last long my dad killed it i had him for 3 years. and i have been keeping red tails for about 6 years and the retic is now almost 3 years old. age means nothing as far as expierence i have made keeping snakes my life i have about 2 years expierence handling hots not owning them. and i am starting school this year and majoring in herpetology. i do take all advice seriously but like i said it was purely a question as to weather it could be done but if i wanted to which i dont i could. it is just that people saying oh you are still a young kid you cant know what you are talking about or you dont have expierence or any thing like that. you have no idea how it makes me feel it is like me saying someone is to old to handle hots because their reflexes are getting to slow or something stupid like that. i spend hours online researching everything about reptiles and animals in general so much so that all of the local pet stores have my phone number and if they have ay questions i am the first one they call. i am also working on getting my wildlife rehabilitation license. i didnt mean to go off topic it is just that my age and suposid "lack" of expierence is my biggest pet pieve

17. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Nobody is slamming you about your age equaling lack of experience. Its just that at your stage in life you will run into a lot of changes and decisions that you may not be considering. There will be changes of residences and you mentioned going to college.
    If someones reflexes are slowed down due to age, not trying to handle hots is the smartest thing that they could do!
    The most experienced hot keepers I know of do not free handle their animals unless absolutely necessary. Thats playing russian roulette with a loaded snake!

18. hennisntacanibal

hennisntacanibal Elite Member

Merlin is right. We think of age only because there is so much that can happen. So you're going to college. Are you going to live in a dorm? Most places don't allow pets, and speaking from personal experience, it is a HUGE pain to have to hide your animal when people who would turn you in for it are around. Do you ever want to get married? Have kids? What would happen to your animals if you got sick and couldn't care for them on a regular basis? How about when you graduate? Where will you stay? Most apartment owners would not be okay with letting someone with a lot of snakes rent. A lot of things can happen, and though I'm only a few years older than you, I've already dropped out of school three seperate times due to health issues, changed majors, lived in three different states, and even been engaged. Believe me, it was hard enough doing all that with just a beardy! I can't even imagine the hardships you'd go through with all the animals you have if you were in my situation.
    Please do not think of this as an attack. We on this site want to make sure that people who ask questions get the best and most informed advice possible. There are a lot of people with less herp experience than you, myself included, but it's not just reptiles that we know about! We want to make sure that you give the best care possible to any animals you breed and that you in turn, as a person, are fulfilled, and not burdened with guilt, by having those animals in your life.

19. josh112990

as far as where they will stay while i am attending school the answer is they will be staying with me the college i am attending is about a 5 minute drive from my house and while i am at school my mother will be able to care for the herps she is very knowledgeable on their care and husbandry as to where i will be staying the answer to that question is here right where i am my parents are planning to start traveling the country and leaving me the house where there is no issue as to what will get how big or how many there are as to getting married yes i plan on getting married my girl friend has been with me since i was 15 years old and she is into reptiles and animals in general just as much if not more than me. i understand what everybody is saying but i have everything planned out. and in addition to my herpetology degree i am currently getting an associates degree for business management and have jobs allready lined up so financial issues are not a problem i appreciate all the feed back to the question and like i said i understand why everyone is saying what they are