This Disappears When Logged In

"breeding Monitors In Captivity" (part 3) By Dr. David Kirshner ("crocdoc2").

Discussion in 'Monitors' started by murrindindi, Jul 8, 2018.

1. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Another excellent video, full of useful information...

Rakoladycz, kriminaal and Lori68 like this.
  2. Lori68

Lori68 Established Member

Each video in this series is fantastic :) He deserves a huge thank you for taking the time to make these and every monitor keeper (in my opinion) should subscribe to his channel for the best content out there to do with anything monitor related

kriminaal likes this.
  3. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

Thanks Stefan.
    I never get tired of seeing that enclosure. Dave really is full of great info. Probably so smart because he's from Canada :)
    Had some great chats with him. Nice guy and he is definitely not one of those blowhard monitor guys.
    Hopefully some day I can try my hand at breeding monitors again. Still love the v.Glauertis.

Lori68 likes this.
  4. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

I agree with your assessment of David`s knowledge and experience, however I`m puzzled by your comment that he`s so smart simply because he`s Canadian??? If that were true of all Canadians, how do you explain yourself and "Lori68`s" IQ???? :D

kriminaal and Lori68 like this.
  5. Rakoladycz

Rakoladycz Elite Member

Just dropped in been a while, wanted to say Hey guys.

Nice share Stefan

6. Rakoladycz

Rakoladycz Elite Member

Good to see you are still here too Mike!

7. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

Hey Randy. Still kicking around but scarce sometimes too.

Rakoladycz likes this.
  8. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi Randy, I think it`s great to see you posting again even though you haven`t said much (so far)...
    Any plans for keeping more monitors if you haven`t yet done so?;)

9. Rakoladycz

Rakoladycz Elite Member

Not much to say I guess. Between the divorce and work after I lost the one rudi I rehomed the other and been at a stand still since.

Been considering revamping the enclosure it ended up getting a bit of water damage underneath. Went to the Daytona expo and did some looking. Im having a bit of an itch at the moment. Not prepared though.
    Still looking at timors, want to swallow the price of some kims, and then i like the idea of maybe just getting some ackies.
    I know i dont want to go as large bodied and i know i want a trio.

Figure if i get real antsy ill start off small and pick up some feeder bugs to start breeding lol

Where is everyone going for their monitor discussions and information sharing?

murrindindi likes this.
  10. Lori68

Lori68 Established Member

Many went to failbook (I'll never be able to call it by its real name anymore, thanks Darkbird :) ) Its a mess with the pathetically low levels many people have stooped to in the hobby when you look at the general mindset around there. It's very hard to find standards in most groups. If someone can't dress it up, stick a leash on it or have it roam about the house like a pet dog, then its not cute or interesting.
    Also, the mindset of decent keeping has gone down the toilet as well (in my opinion on what I see, but I've been told I'm a fool in my ideas so can't really take my opinion seriously then). Easy, shortcut methods are more favorable than striving for perfecting the captive environment and husbandry methods. The motivation to do something great for the species they keep is not there....everyone wants to get the most with the least amount of effort. I could be wrong though. Maybe this is how the hobby has always been, but just not so amalgamated into one meeting place?

murrindindi likes this.
  11. Rakoladycz

Rakoladycz Elite Member

I dont see fb being very beneficial to successful husbandry or breeding. Its too general and about likes.

Only way i see it as a good source is if the source has a good reputation. Otherwise its closed off from a counter arguement and limited.

murrindindi and Lori68 like this.
  12. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

I seriously hope you do get back into the hobby Randy, you have enough knowledge and experience to offer them a decent life... Sorry to hear about the divorce.
    I`ve been mostly talking to brick walls and trees, as far as sharing my own experiences, I tend to want to keep them all to myself.... Thanks for asking the question, though!
    Most (but not all) of the varanid splinter groups on Facebook just increase the confusion of captive care to alarming degrees...

Lori68 likes this.
  13. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

By the way Randy, the Sav link in your posts doesn`t work (I`m guessing you might have noticed)...

14. Rakoladycz

Rakoladycz Elite Member

Ill keep you posted if i do something.

I dont even see a link in my posts???

Tried joining the Biawak group couple days back still havent been accepted or declined. We'll see what happens.

15. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

16. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

At the moment the Biawak group is fairly quiet, | II

17. Rakoladycz

Rakoladycz Elite Member

Yea saw it was some what quite but had some reputable members and trying to achieve something serious besides likes.