This Disappears When Logged In

Breeding Mealworms?

Discussion in 'Feeders' started by MintyGamer, Aug 3, 2018.

1. MintyGamer

MintyGamer Member

I've done so much research on this topic, but I'm still not sure if I'm doing it right... I have three containers, two are small and one is a good-sized tote, but still pretty small.
    One container has pupae and beetles, one has suspected eggs, and the other has mealworms.
    When all animals are done with their meal, I put the extra works (if there are any) go into the container with the other worms. The plan is the beetles stay in their one container until eggs hatch, worms are moved to a fridge container when big enough (I take out about 60 from the container to start gutloading, the next day they are fed), then the container is cleaned and beetles/pupae is moved to the now-clean container, and repeat.
    That's the plan, however I haven't had any eggs hatch
    I have a good feeling that there are eggs, but I'm not sure if, or when, they'll hatch
    My room stays about 75-80 degrees ferenhight and the beetles, worms, and 'egg' container gets a new water source daily (typically unused fruits/veggies)
    It's been a good 2-3 weeks sense I've started this method, but I've tried breeding without moving beetles for almost 2 months with no noticable result
    Any advice would be amazing!

2. Lori68

Lori68 Subscribed User Premium Member

Hey again :)
    There is a care sheet list for all sorts of feeders on this forum, I linked you to the list. I've only ever kept superworms but I'm pretty sure they are raised/kept quite similar to mealies. I did barely anything for them aside from providing food. I left all in the same bin (larvae, eggs, beetles). I was just lazy actually haha. They aren't my main source of feeders for my reptiles, so it was just an afterthought to even see if I could get some breeding in their superworm cage.

Invertebrate Care Sheets | Reptile Forums - Information

3. MintyGamer

MintyGamer Member

Oh, cool!! Thank you so much, sorry for being a bother too lol!

Lori68 likes this.
  4. Lori68

Lori68 Subscribed User Premium Member

No worries!

5. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

What are you using in the way of fruits and vegetables? If too wet you may be having mold issues in your bin. All you need for moisture is a slice of potato.

6. MintyGamer

MintyGamer Member

I'll put either lettuce, stuff that looks like lettuce but doesn't create too much moisture (forgot what it's called...), and those pre-cut carrot Spears. I don't put all at once, just one or the other. I didn't think they created much moustmoi, but I'll switch to potatoes if they do lol

7. Darkbird

Darkbird Moderator Staff Member

Wheat bran, some starter mealworms, moisture source, then just walk away. I'd have way more than I would know what to do with if I'd quit forgetting to give the darn things moisture. I don't separate anything but the ones I want to feed, or maybe cull a few beetles if I get too many.

8. MintyGamer

MintyGamer Member

Oh, okay!
    Thanks!
    Does oatmeal work? I've been giving them the cheap oatmeal stuff LOL

9. Darkbird

Darkbird Moderator Staff Member

No idea, I was told to the the wheat bran, so I went to the feed mill and bought a 50lb bag, which was way overkill. If you were close I'd give you some, lol.

10. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I've always used wheat bran.