This Disappears When Logged In

Breeding Banana Slugs and Salamanders/Newts

Discussion in 'Invertebrates General' started by casey15, Dec 9, 2012.

1. casey15

casey15 Elite Member

I want to start more bug colonies for my Savannah Monitor, I was thinking of breeding Banana Slugs but I can't find information on the temperatures to keep them at. Are they hard to breed/keep alive, they're really expensive so I don't want to buy a lot of them and have them die.

I was also thinking of breeding some kind of Salamander/Newts, Is this a good idea?

I'm also starting with Millipedes, and Large Snails.

Right now I breed Dubia Roaches, Slugs,Night Crawlers, and Mealworms.

2. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi Casey, I`m not familiar with Banana slugs so I can`t help, but the only millipedes Savannah monitors are known to consume are the African Giant millipedes (Archispirostreptus gigas), these inverts have toxic secretions, and it`s possible the monitors can tolerate them, in other species of millipede that may not be the case, so others are not recommended.
    Edit: Breeding your own newts should be o.k, not sure how long they take to grow to make it worthwhile, though?

Last edited: Dec 9, 2012
  3. skelly98

skelly98 Elite Member

Almost all amphibians are toxic. i would not feed a monitor newts...

4. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, they take that type of prey regularly in the wild.

5. skelly98

skelly98 Elite Member

But with what amphibs can do to a dog, i would not want to risk it. If you find a appropriate species, then it might be ok, but not just any old newt....

6. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Yes, I think you`re right, even though they may take the African species, they would probably not be resistant to the toxic secretions in some American newt species. Well said! ;)

7. casey15

casey15 Elite Member

Okay, I will definetley pass on the newts. So if I got Giant African Millipides would those work? If its a risk I'll look at other things to breed.

8. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

What about fish? A lot of people overlook them as feeders. Or larger roaches? Also anoles or other smaller lizards.

9. tfmreefs

tfmreefs Active Member

Theres a reptile website that has live feeder animals such as house geckos, different roaches, all the bugs, small anols, and other largish things that you could buy that came with stuff for breedeing them like a small encolousure , and all the right things you would probably need....... i forgot the website though.. They had alot