This Disappears When Logged In

Brazilian Rainbow Boa Worms/bugs In Poop

Discussion in 'Rainbow Boas' started by Prickett08, Sep 6, 2016.

1. Prickett08

Prickett08 New Member

Hey everyone, first post on here, I've had my BRB for about 6 months now, he's a baby, eats great, seems really shy, but is a pretty good snake. I'm using eco earth with p Snapchat-2859509713343061855.jpg eat moss on top. Temp and humidity are fine, but I noticed bugs/tiny worms in his poop today when I took it out. I AM using logs and bamboo from outside that I THOUGHT I cleaned pretty well with hot water and soap, no bleach. Is this anything to worry about? I'm just cleaned out the cage, thinking about going basic with newspaper.

2. toddnbecka

toddnbecka Well Established Member

Best bet would be to take a poop sample to the vet to check for parasites. Logs and such from outside won't carry parasites to your reptiles, but there may have been something that would be attracted to the waste. Was the poop fresh or had it been sitting there for a while?

3. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

I agree with above. If the poop was there for any length of time (especially this time of year) it can attract flies, which can in turn lay eggs, which will hatch into maggots. This can happen in less that 24 hours.

If the worms you see are moving, this is very likely the case.

Most parasitic worms will die shortly after being expelled in feces byt heir host animal, and would be dead remains, unless the poop was so fresh it was 'still warm'.

A vet can clear things up for you by doing a fecal (or you can if you have a good microscope). Feeding F/T animals reduces the risk of transmission of parasitic diseases dramatically, so if your snake does have worms, and does get treated, you will want to switch your food sources (if you haven't already) to prevent or minimize reinfection.

4. -N-

-N- New Member

I would be willing to say you have fecal fly larva in the poop.
    More frequent cleaning of fecal matter should reduce this, as well as change in season combined. How long between substrate change are you going? This could be a significant factor as well.

I have to ask why you do not use bleach as a sterilizing rinse after a soap water wash. It's an excellent economic cleaning step. If you are using a Novalsan type germicidal soap I understand why not but other wise bleach has a place in thorough cleaning.