This Disappears When Logged In

Braveheart

Discussion in 'Over the Rainbow' started by Dragoness, Dec 26, 2013.

1. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Came home from my mom's house on Christmas day to find Braveheart, my cat, dead on my living room floor. He was one of the few animals I was very close with. I love all my pets, but Brave wasn't just a pet. I was his human as much as he was my cat. My boy. The kind of cat that always showed up for a snuggle when you needed it most.

My mom looked him over, and said his lungs were very enlarged, and his ribcage swollen with fluids - it looked like the very final stages of advanced lung tumors.

He had started coughing about a week prior - like he always does this time of year. He gets a cold, the vets gave us a lysine supplement to boost his immune system.

The tears still won't stop coming. We have plans to bury him in the spring, and plant a tree over him, probably an oak. He lived a good long life (about 13 years).

Attached Files:

2. DwarvenChef

DwarvenChef Elite Member

I feel for you, when I lost my cat of 14 years I was pretty messed up, she only liked me and tolerated the rest of the encroachers of here territory (the Apt). Been over a year I think and I still feel her at my feet while I am on the computer.

Remember the good times and collect the photos and make a book for him. It gets easier to deal with as time passes, but you will always remember him :)

3. JSqueezer

JSqueezer Elite Member

I am so sorry for your loss. I do understand what you are going through. I went through a similar loss in October 2012 when I had to have my beloved cat Baylee euthanized on his 14th birthday. He developed serious breathing issues and his heart was beating incredibly fast. I thought the vet would simply give him antibiotics and he would be fine. That wasn't the case.

You pain will subside over time, but it will never entirely go away. Braveheart has imprinted himself too deeply on your heart for there not to be some remnants of pain. One day you'll be able to remember your beautiful BraveHeart without that feeling of soul crushing pain . He will always be part of your heart. As for the tears.. that flowing river will dry up to a trickle... eventually. I still cry, I still grieve. Christmas is hard. Baylee loved the tree and spent much of the holiday either in or under it.

I will keep you in my thoughts as you work through this difficult time. Braveheart was a beautiful cat. Maybe you should put together a scrapbook? It can be very therapeutic as well as incredibly painful, as you remember the times that you and BraveHeart had.

4. mshrmheadcharge

mshrmheadcharge Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

I'm sorry for your loss :(

5. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

He was such a handsome boy...I am sorry for your loss Jen.

6. Snakewomen

Snakewomen Active Member

I also know how you are feeling. Loosing an animal is about the worst thing in the world. Sadly, it comes with the territory of having pets :( The only remedy to what your feeling right now is time. I am so sorry for your loss, and I remember when I lost my cat named Bella who had cancer in her face, I felt that at least she wasn't in pain anymore; but I know that doesn't make it any less tragic.

Hugs,
    Mandy

7. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I am so sorry Jen. It is said that the grand joke on humans is that the majority of the animals we chose to share our lives with have much shorter lifespans that we do.
    All you can do for now is cherish the memories of the time you had with him and know that the pain will lessen with time.

8. Jflores

Jflores Elite Member

I am truly sorry for your loss.

9. lisas

lisas Elite Member

I'm very sorry for your loss. I still can't get over losing my blue-tongue skink 6 months ago, but time heals. Some of us need tons of time though. When I go to bed at night, I think of the good times that I had with my skink and try not to think about when he was ill (vet treated him when he was ill - I thought he was getting better and he wasn't). My ferret had a seizure yesterday and the ER vet didn't answer. I'm so glad he came out of it. My thoughts are with you - I know how this type of loss can shatter your heart.

10. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Thanks guys.

We did settle upon an oak for him in the back corner of our yard. Once the ground thaws, he will be buried, and nourish new life when we plant the oak over him - a life that will likely last much longer than his or mine ever could. It seems a fitting tribute. We intend to plant lots of catnip around it, and let it take over the area once the tree is established - not only because he loved it, but because that part of the yard is full of such noxious weeds, we need some kind of ground cover that can stand it's own against them.

11. JoeyG

JoeyG Subscribed User Premium Member

I'm so sorry for your loss Jen :( I lost my dog of 12 years and know how it feels to lose a little one you're so close to.... I hope that the spring and the new tree bring some peace to you. He lived a long life and I'm sure he enjoyed it at your side.