This Disappears When Logged In

Brand New Baby!

Discussion in 'Water Dragons' started by rhinokeeper, Sep 5, 2013.

1. rhinokeeper

rhinokeeper Elite Member

Hmm I will have to look into it. Gotta start a very large mulch site

One of 4 small crawdads.

Attached Files:

2. AParkin

AParkin Elite Member

My enclosure is simmilar, I have a filter concealed inside a water fall, a breeding population of rosie minnows and bladder snails. I also have an assortment of live plants; bromeliads, orchids, and bamboo. Also have a little venus flytrap which is taking care of the occasional gnat or fly that gets in there. I plan to add some ghost shrimp next week. My water stays crystal clear and never smells fishy. :)

3. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

What do you do if the crawdads get too big?p

4. rhinokeeper

rhinokeeper Elite Member

Toss em lol my water is always clear and never smells either. Plants work wonders.

5. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Do NOT take animals which have been housed with the dragon and release them!
    That is seriously bad advice!

6. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

That would release unknown bacteria, parasites, etc into the wild populations and could destroy entire ecosystems. Have y9ou thought of freezing them and using them as fish bait or dragon food?

7. rhinokeeper

rhinokeeper Elite Member

8. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

oh. well thats different then.

9. gpolkin

gpolkin Well-Known Member

Can you share your rough bleach/alcohol/water mix for branch disinfecting.

10. rhinokeeper

rhinokeeper Elite Member

Yeah. I use one cup bleach 1/2 cup alcohol and 4 cups water but it pretty much that ratio just scale it up equally for larger items.

Remember the alcohol will evaporate rather quickly. I add another half to full cup after a few hours or the following morning. And sorry its not 4 cups water its 3. I hit the wrong number.

11. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Is it rubbing alcohol?

12. rhinokeeper

rhinokeeper Elite Member

Yep its cheap and it works.

Oh amd for the lighting Yes you will need dif lighting plants have specific requirements too. You may be able to find a bulb that will work to grow plants for the fixture you have now. Just look up the dif ones online.

Or go to your lps and look for plant bulbs. Or even home depot or lowes they have them as well.

13. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Just to be clear water plants need special lights too?

14. rhinokeeper

rhinokeeper Elite Member

Yes all plants need special lighting.

15. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Darn...I was hoping you would say no.

16. AParkin

AParkin Elite Member

I completely agree that plants have special lighting needs, and they will absolutly flourish under the right bulbs. However, all of my plants and doing just fine with the reptile lighting I have. I'm using the zoo med high output for uvb and a 60 watt full spectrum daylight blue bulb in addition to the reptisun basking bulb. My bamboo, orchids, and venus fly trap are not visibly growing (they are all slow growers though). My other plants are growing quickly though, especially my silver philodendrons and the bromeliads. The bromeliads are even reproducing. :) I do not use any kind of plant food or fertillizer, instead I water the plants with the water from Zen's pool.

17. rhinokeeper

rhinokeeper Elite Member

Same no fertilizer needed since the animals poo everywhere. Plus I built a custom plant rack so it sits just above the water level and the roots dangle in tge water below.

18. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

I know that the land plant will be fine. I have had strawberry plants, herbs, pothos, hibiscus, and grass all grow in Tai's cage without any special lights but I was hoping water plants would grow without lights since I want to experiment with an ecosystem in my fish tank before I move it to Tai's cage.

19. rhinokeeper

rhinokeeper Elite Member

Ah gotcha

20. rhinokeeper

rhinokeeper Elite Member

They will grow if all those grow. But I see what you mean with the fishtank