This Disappears When Logged In

Bp Takes Food But Won't Ingest It.

Discussion in 'Ball Pythons' started by Karen P, Jun 11, 2017.

1. Karen P

Karen P New Member

My 6-7 year old python will take her food but not ingest it. She has been eating frozen/thawed rodents since we got her. Everything was normal until just recently when she stopped ingesting the food. She snatches and coils around it but then just let's it drop. Thoughts?

2. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

Not really sure, but if she is not losing weight I would just skip a feeding day or 2 and try again. I assume this has happened more than once?

AmityReptiles likes this.
  3. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Mine would do this if they were going into shed cycle.
    Could this be a possibility?

AmityReptiles and Darkbird like this.
  4. AmityReptiles

AmityReptiles Well Established Member

Some of my snakes have done this periodically. If I know they're hungry I just leave it in the enclosure overnight and it's usually gone in the morning. Also, I've heard some say not to offer food over and over again but to wait at least a week if they don't finish a meal; that way they don't develop a habit of refusing food. Some more experienced bp keepers can probably chime in on the cause of your bp not eating. The most important thing is making sure your snake is a healthy weight and your husbandry is right.

5. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I agree. If the snake refuses just wait to try again on the next regular feeding day. Trying over and over will stress the snake