This Disappears When Logged In

Boy Scouts- Rant

Discussion in 'Turtles' started by Kendalle, Apr 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kendalle

Kendalle Elite Member

A kid on another forum said he watched a turtle lay eggs in they're yard and he wants to go steal them because boy scouts will give you a merit badge for taking care of an animal!

He sounds like he is about 13, and said that he has had many turtles in the past so he knows what he is doing. But he wants to get 4 more of these turtles for the badge.

Hmm, take a turtle for a few months get a badge and throw it in the yard? Good plan boy scouts! :mad:

What are they thinking! What are parents thinking when they let the kid kidnap a bunch of turtles and let a 13 year old take care of them.

He doesn't sound like he knows anything about them. :mad:

2. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Wow, and I'm used to thinking so highly of some of those little scouts...

3. Kendalle

Kendalle Elite Member

Me too, I doubt this is the norm, but that is what I thought too when I heard it, I always thought boy scouts taught really good things, but this I totally disagree.

4. Blitz

Blitz Elite Member

The only reptile I've had o far is a turtle, and I DID capture it in the wild when it was a baby, but it was to keep it as a pet, not to get a badge and then toss it somewhere. Plus tutrltes are independent from birth anyway, but stealing the egg(s)?! that's just stupid...

5. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Slow down grasshopper! lol What he intends on doing is NOT what the scouts endorse. At least it wasn't anything they endorsed when I was a scout. We were taught to leave things where they are and admire them from a distance. There was no merit badge for taking an animal from the wild and caring for it. There was a merit badge for caring for a domestic pet. (It was about responsibility.)

I don't think this kid understands this or things have drastically changed and the scouts have tossed morals out the window. lol (It's the kid, not the scouts!)

6. Blitz

Blitz Elite Member

I'm with rich, my cousin was in the scouts, and they always seemed to teach good morals....which apparently had no effect on my cousin, cus he's stilla punk, lol

7. ronaldjohn

ronaldjohn Member

yeah my son is in scouts and they are taught to leave nature alone unless its dying then they should try and help it by telling an adult or something but he has never been told to capture a hedgehog or something like that (because we don't get turtles in scotland lol) and care for it then dump it outside they are told quite the opposite

8. fire2225ems

fire2225ems Subscribed User Premium Member

Here is what I found about the requirements for the badge that it sounds like this kid is going for. I have to agree tho, that with most troops they would frown on what he is planning on doing.

Reptile and Amphibian Study - MeritBadgeDotOrg

9. Kendalle

Kendalle Elite Member

yea I kind of assumed that but I doubt it is checked up on, I don't know.

10. fire2225ems

fire2225ems Subscribed User Premium Member

actually most of the good troops do check up on that. They want to know what the kid did from start to finish, and what future plans would be... It's all a part of teaching them responsibility.

11. ShAn3

ShAn3 Elite Member

GEE that is really stupid! Nature should be left the way it is!

12. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Species listed by federal or state law as endangered, protected, or threatened must not be used as live specimens in completing requirement 8a unless official permission has been given. In most cases all specimens should be returned to the wild at the location of capture after the requirement has been met. Check with your merit badge counselor for those instances where the return of these specimens would not be appropriate.

That rules out baby turtles under the four inch rule (rare as it ,may be enforced)

Or would it, since it's "educational" ?

13. Kendalle

Kendalle Elite Member

I'm not sure, but he said he was going to buy from a pet store now and his other turtles got killed by birds (How no idea) and he is planning to keep them in a ten gal but no longer will go back to that forum because I was unbelievably rude for questioning his care

14. shwknight

shwknight Elite Member

What forum was it. I'll go do some talkin (grins evily)

15. angrykitten

angrykitten Elite Member

Where we live it is ILLEGAL to take wild animals and keep them as pets...I know that for sure as I volunteer for a wildlife rescue center and whatever animal cannot be re-introduce in the wild has to be euthanised. It is the law and I honestly agree with it even though it is sad sometimes and I am the first one who would like to take them home and care for them for the rest of their lives. But I feel it would be much more sad for a bird who cannot fly anymore and that it was born free to spend the rest of its days inside a cage...

Anyway, my own opinion is not that important, but I know the lady who runs the rescue center wrote an article in the local paper to let "common" people know that if they find an injured wild animal to take it to a "wildlife rescue center" and that it is AGAINST THE LAW to keep it as a pet.

I am not sure if this is just in our county or it is actually a Maryland law...so I am wondering if it is the same in other states.

16. Kendalle

Kendalle Elite Member

Same here for quite a few animals, but I don't think all.

17. kiraturmc

kiraturmc Elite Member

Well, I'm an asst. den leader for my 7 year old, and our troop would NEVER endorse this sort of thing. Sometimes we take out an option, such as this, and direct everyone to do the other. It could be that this troop didn't do that in this situation. Since I didn't see the boy's post, I can't speak to it, but on reading the badge requirement, it says:

"Do ONE of the following:
    a. Maintain one or more reptiles or amphibians for at least a month. Record food accepted, eating methods, changes in coloration, shedding of skins, and general habits; or keep the eggs of a reptile from the time of laying until hatching; or keep the eggs of an amphibian from the time of laying until their transformation into tadpoles (frogs) or larvae (salamanders).
    b. Choose a reptile or amphibian that you can observe at a local zoo, aquarium, nature center, or other such exhibit (such as your classroom or school). Study the specimen weekly for a period of three months. At each visit, sketch the specimen in its captive habitat and note any changes in its coloration, shedding of skins, and general habits and behavior. Find out, either from information you locate on your own or by talking to the caretaker, what this species eats and what are its native habitat and home range, preferred climate, average life expectancy, and natural predators. Also identify any human caused threats to its population and any laws that protect the species and its habitat. After the observation period, share what you have learned with your counselor."

From this, I would think that the "counselor/den leader" and parents would be involved in the choosing of the which one the child would do. All of the parents in my den would vote for going to the zoo - in fact, I would remove the first option from the project altogether.

The scouts are only as good as the troop leadership. It just may be that this troop doesn't see a problem with it - which is very unfortunate.

I'd be interested to find out if the den leader/parents knew of this boy's intent...

18. Fern

Fern Well-Known Member

I agree that THIS boy should not be taking from the wild nor any boy or girl. He needs to learn more about it and even better adopt one instead of buying one from the pet store. I do NOT agree that you should look at him for his age, nor the fact he is a boy scout. If he is doing this FOR the boy scouts then I would recommend talking to the boy scout troop as well. The reason I don't agree with his age is that if a 7 year old learns enough and tries hard enough then they will become just as capable as a 45 year old. I know that it might be harder for kids to earn enough money for their pet and sometimes they dump the responsibility on their parents sometimes they can take BETTER care then adults. I've noticed on pet forums people sometimes tend to pick out and make big deals of younger people then older ones. They say they never should have gotten that pet before they did research. That is true for kids. That is true for adults. Everyone is still learning here. Everyone, everywhere is still learning. I don't care who you are. You are still learning in some way. That kid is learning about animals and nature. He might already know math while someone else know nature but not math. I know plenty of kids that dump responsibility on their mothers but many still who take great care of their pets for a long long time.

19. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

The main reason that kids generally get talked down to is because they tend to, on the spur of the moment, acquire animals. With or without parental permission. And with no concern what so ever for what they are getting into.
    Granted not ALL young people are guilty of this but enough so that it emerges as a significant pattern.
    Then they don't understand when the parents refuse to fund and care for their pets.
    And then it starts....
    I can't afford to feed it properly.
    I can't afford the right cage.
    I can't afford the proper cage equipment.
    I can't afford the vet.
    I didn't know it would get this big.
    And so on and so on.
    Granted the same problems exist with adults. Just not to the extent that it does with younger people.

20. Kendalle

Kendalle Elite Member

that and what is super cool when you are 13 quickly changes when you are 16 have a car and then off to college. More and more colleges are forcing 1st year at least to live on campus and that is at least one year to figure out who gets your pet.

I always suggest a shorter lifespan pet to a young person for the reason that they simply do not know where they will live in a few years, how could they?

Yes some kids are great at keeping pets, but not this kid I don't think.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.