This Disappears When Logged In

Box Turtles

Discussion in 'Tortoises' started by Yvonne G, Aug 19, 2018.

1. Yvonne G

Yvonne G Member

I have at least one of every kind of box turtle found in the U.S. Each species (sub species??) has its own yard.

box turtle 2-16-15.jpg box turtle 9-17-16.jpg box turtle 9-19-15 b.jpg box turtle feeding station.jpg box turtle yard - 3 toe, lutiola.jpg box turtle yard - florida.jpg box turtle yard 09-13 a.jpg

florida box-2.jpg

Please feel free to add your box turtle pictures to this thread.

Lori68 and Qwerty3159 like this.
  2. Qwerty3159

Qwerty3159 Elite Member

No box turtles of my own but I like your photos a lot, especially the three-toed (?) in the first picture.

3. Lori68

Lori68 Established Member

I also have to say your setups are fantastic :) You give these animals a great life. I don't have any box turtles either so I can only give you a thumbs up on the lengths you go to for your shelled creatures

4. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

Turtles and tortoises were always something I wanted to get. But space was an issue.
    I see evergreens in the back. What state are you in?
    Do you have to bring them in for winter?

5. Yvonne G

Yvonne G Member

It helps that I have an acre of land to work with. I used to have horses, so most of the property is dedicated to pasture. Around the house, there are no yards - no backyard, no front yard, no side yards, etc. well, you get the picture. It's all tortoise yards. Last year I sectioned off a large piece of the pasture for the SA leopards. I'll start a thread on them when I have more time.

All the species except the box turtles and desert tortoises have an insulated, heated shed. The box turtles dig down into a big pile of leaf litter/garden trash and hibernate in there. The desert tortoises have a cinderblock house set on cement that I fill with leaf litter and after they're put away inside it for the winter, I pile leaves all over the top and sides to protect it from frost. Haven't lost one yet in the 25 years I've been doing it this way.

I'm in Central California. The average winter time temps are 50F or less, days, and 32F sometimes colder, nights.

kriminaal and Lori68 like this.