This Disappears When Logged In

Bought a New Cage Setup, Need Help with the Heating

Discussion in 'Heating' started by themourningstar, Mar 29, 2013.

1. themourningstar

themourningstar Active Member

First, the pix- I can never get the pic uploader on here to work, so I'll post the links to my fb pix.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...4702140.-2207520000.1364590059&type=3&theater

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...4702140.-2207520000.1364590059&type=3&theater

As you can (hopefully lol) see, the cage consists of a large and a small cage sitting on top of an identical large and small cage. The dimensions are as follows

Total Cage dimensions: 54 in long X 22 in high X 17 in wide
    Small Cage dimensions: 18 in long X 22 in High X 17 in wide
    Large Cage dimensions: 36 in long X 22in high X 17 inch wide

I dont want to cut the cage, or screen portions off, so using lights or Ceramic heat emitters innt going to work. The previous owner said he used heat tape, and I plan on doing the same. I have never used it before, so I need a little advice here on how to use it. Ive read through several posts on here and have seen people say cover 2/3, 1/3 and even 1/2 of the cage. Which is true??

The cages will be used to house california king snakes, and one of the larger ones will house my ball python Henry.

My questions are:

A) How long of a strip do I need to buy? The two cages on each section have a sealed hole that I could run the tape from one side to the other.

B) How much of the floor space do I need to cover?

C) Could I place the heat tape directly on the wood?

D) Can I cover the heat tape with a sheet of plastic, and seal it around the edges?

E) Can I buy the heat tape used for plumbing, or is there a reptile specific one that I need?

Thank you tons people!

2. norwegn113

norwegn113 Well-Known Member

OK , let me start off by saying nice looking cage set up. This is going to be a very difficult cage to setup properly. Using heat tape in direct contact with wood is highly not recommended and sandwiching it between wood and plastic is extremely dangerous. Usually heat tape is applied to the bottom surface of a cage that has a bottom made from glass, pvc plastic, tile, or anything that is non combustible. Heat tape should never be used on any surface that can catch fire. I know you said you didn't want to do any cutting to this cage but if you want to use heat tape you are going to have to replace a portion of the bottoms with glass or ceramic tiles so that you can mount the tape properly. You are also going to need to use a thermostat for each unit you plan to heat. You could use Radiant heat panels but that can get very expensive. If you find you would to use heat tape safely send me a message and I will give you direction on how to modify your cage for that! Hope i helped a bit? Happy Herping....

3. themourningstar

themourningstar Active Member

Helped tons, and a pm is on the way. :) Thanks!