This Disappears When Logged In

Bosc Monitor Cage (earthworms)

Discussion in 'Monitors' started by dp428, May 31, 2014.

1. dp428

dp428 Established Member

Hey all,
    So I am making a design for the permanent cage I am making for my baby sav. I want to go to bio-active but at the same time it doesn't necessarily seem all that much easier. Especially cause cleaning their cages seems like a great way for your monitor to learn that your not a threat. But the idea of earthworms being put in their really struck my attention, they make gardens thrive! I feel like if were to just put earthworms in there it would make it easier to maintain, without having to go for all the bio-active ingredients and different insects you need to sub stain that. So would the earthworms actually help out with cleaning excrement and moving the soil over? Or should I just leave it alone if I am not going to do the complete bio-active soil set-up?

2. Infernalis

Infernalis Elite Member

I would absolutely go fully bio active. earthworms don't eat poo.

Now, one logistic you are not considering, you do realize that 24 inches of soil 8 feet wide and 4 feet front to back weighs well over a ton, and "cleaning" will be a back breaking tedious proposition.

These lizards are incredibly smart, they learn in a hurry that it is you who brings them dinner.

Worms in their dirt is awesome enrichment, because they have to forage and dig to get at them, to a Savannah monitor worms are a delicacy.

3. dp428

dp428 Established Member

Thank you for that, if you wouldnt mind giving me some links to look at so i give him the proper materials, im in Northern Cali so i feel like i should have some pretty substrate to give him. Much appreciated.