This Disappears When Logged In

Bone Meal Supplement

Discussion in 'Monitors' started by LovinMonitors4, Jun 15, 2010.

1. LovinMonitors4

LovinMonitors4 Active Member

I was talking to someone the other day who says he uses bone meal along with ground turkey to feed his monitors. (BT and ACKIES) I was curious on everyones opinions on that supplement. Is it worth buying and using that? Is it more beneficial than other supplements?

He was trying to encourage me to go that path

Daily Value Description Amount per Serving

† Bone Meal Powder 3 g

Calcium: 1.0 g
    Iron: 1 mg
    Magnesium: 25 mg
    Phosphorus: 500 mg
    Serving Size: 1 Rounded Teaspoon
    Servings Per Container: 151

2. Og_

Og_ Elite Member

There are many opinions out there on what to feed monitors. And not all monitors have the same feeding requirements.

I'm not sure what kind of monitor you have, But I would do the research to find out just exactly what they eat in the wild and then try to copy that the best that you can.

I can assure you that there is not one species of monitor that eats turkey in the wild. However turkey is not poisonous to monitors. It's Perfectly ok for them to eat it, But monitors need variety in their diet!

As far as turkey and bone meal alone as a staple, I would have to say absolutely not!

Invertebrates should be the main diet which includes Insects, Worms, etc..

There is a LONG list of food items that is ok with moderation, But I sincerely believe that no animal should be fed turkey and bone meal alone!

That diet makes it easier for the keeper to keep the animal. It however, makes it harder on the animal!

This is all just my opinion, but I stand by it!

3. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

That sounds like it might be a spin off of the SDZ diet for monitors (Ground turkey, bone meal and Centrum vitamin tablets).

You can. Just because you can, doesn't mean you should. Most monitors seek a variety of whole prey items in the wild. Depending on species, that could be anything from an almost totally invertebrate diet (as with Savannah Monitors) to some monitors regularly consuming snails, and in the case of one species, even fruit.

As mentioned, do your research, find out what your species normally consumes, offer as much of that as you can. Supplement that with whole prey items (insects, thawed feeders such as rodents, fowl, etc). The SDZ diet works, but if better and more natural options are available, why compromise?

4. Og_

Og_ Elite Member

Just so that everyone knows, The "SDZ Diet" Is the San Diego Zoo diet for Komodo dragons kept in captivity. Komodo's are the largest living monitor species on earth!
    Komodo's specialize in bringing down large prey items such as a pig or a deer with just a bite!
    Their bite causes a severe and rapid infection in their prey and they will follow their bitten victem around until they die!
    By then, Other Komodo dragons have also picked up the scent of the dying animal!
    In the end, Multiple Komodo monitors will be taking advantage of the carcass as a source of food!

Much smaller monitors such as Savannah's and Ackie's and many others live primarily off of insects, snails, and worms!

But each species has it's own dietary requirements.

Before we can go any further, We will need to know just exactly what type of monitor that you have or wish to have.

5. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

Sorry in advance for my ignorance, but I use bone meal in my flower beds! Is this the same thing???:confused:

6. LovinMonitors4

Yes its the same thing but people also use it as a supplement. Pretty weird that its for gardening but that was my main question. Is bonemeal a good supplement or no?

7. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

I think that if you read the labels on the containers of bone meal it might say not reccommened for food uses.

Quote by Dr. Richard Pitcairn
    You can read the Whole artical here on this link.

http://www.drpitcairn.com/nutrition/nutrition_index.html#anchor_calcium

8. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Bonemeal is a good source of calcium, but there is a good reason the SDZ diet includes the centrum tablets. Meat, calcium, iron, magnesium, and phosphorus are inadequate for most animals, who need at least traces of everything we humans do.

9. Og_

Og_ Elite Member

Again, this diet is designed for Komodos!

Just exactly what kind of monitor do you have or wish to have? Or do you even know?

Maybe you could start by telling us just what, exactly, You have in your possession right now.

10. LovinMonitors4

I was just curious because ive never heard of it before so i wanted opinions or thoughts about it. If i dont know anything about the product then theres no way i would dare use it.

I have a trio of Black Headed Monitors and Ackies (JUVIES)

I understand they are a small species and i wouldnt jump to anything, again, just curious and venturing out to learn more.

11. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, I`ve never used bone meal myself, but I know a few VERY experienced keepers who do, at the end of the day, it`s just a way of giving them a less varied diet but making sure they don`t miss out on the vitamins and minerals etc they need to stay in good health.
    I agree with the other members, it seems it`s easier for the keeper, particularly if they have numerous monitors in their collection, but I personally prefer the whole prey varied diet.

12. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

There are different types of bone meal and there is one that is consumed by people as a mineral supplement.
    The SDZ diet was derived by Jeff Lemm to be as close to a rodent as possible.
    Only if it is fed exactly like the original is it a complete meal.
    It was done to make it easier to feed a large volume of monitors and if rodents weren't readily available.
    In some areas, getting a good supply of mice/rats can be tricky.
    If you have access to a ready supply of them, there is no need to feed the SDZ diet.
    Depending on species of monitors, like Og said. Invertebrates are the best food source.

13. LovinMonitors4

Thanks for the info that helps a lot. I was just curious because ive always heard of it but never really heard any details and i was just making sure i wasnt missing out on anything, or i should say i was making sure my lizards werent missing out.

Greatly appreciate it!