This Disappears When Logged In

Boiling Rocks

Discussion in 'Cage Furniture - Accessories' started by shwknight, Apr 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shwknight

shwknight Elite Member

Since the last rock thread was closed without telling anything about how long to boil the rocks, and as I'm needing to boil some for my CWD's new pond, I thought I'd start a thread and ask ;)

How long do you boil the rocks to make sure all the parasites and what-not are gone?

2. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

I just scrub them down with a 1:10 bleach solution and rinse well. Then let dry from a few days. Seems to take care of everything. With heating rocks, you risk the air pockets inside them exploding, therefore turning your rock into shrapnel.

3. shwknight

shwknight Elite Member

In the other thread Merlin said you could boil them and be ok but to not bake them. I can't bleach them as I live in an apartment and it will get the fumes everywhere and i don't want them affecting my CWD, so bleach isn't an option.
    And someone else in the other thread boiled them but didn't say for how long, I just need to know if I dip them, or let them sit for 2 minutes, 5 minutes, whatever

4. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

Boiling and baking have the same problem. It adds heat.

Bleach won't smell too much. Just put a splash of it in a gallon bucket with some water and add the rocks. then rinse in the bathtub. Heck, I use it to clean my bathroom and my frogs are fine.

5. shwknight

shwknight Elite Member

In all the thread's it's a 1-10 to disinfect and kill stuff. A 1-10 (which I used to disinfect everything before I brought my dragon home) did make the apartment smell and was a pain to rinse and the smell lingered for a day or so. I want to put the rocks in the pond tonight so I can get everything in the new enclosure going to make sure everything is good before I move him in in a few days ( the rocks are the last thing needed) and so I'll say it again, bleach is not an option.

And again, I just need to know how long the rocks need to stay in the boiling water to make sure everything is killed.

6. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Just dip them in the boiling water for a minute. That won't let them get too hot.

7. shwknight

shwknight Elite Member

Thanks Merlin :)
    I was hoping you'd see this and have an answer for me.

OH, and congrats on you going to become a new grandpa ;)
    I wish you and the little lady LOTS of babies :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.